Floods And Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revor

Reaction score
Fortunately I have not been too troubled by the flooding issues that have plagued many in parts of the north west. What I am curious about is why have there been no reports of electrocutions. I understand how the protective devices built into installations offer protection but  what happens when the main incoming supply becomes flooded?

It should trip as there will probably be a direct short circuit across all conductors.

generally the L&N would both be soaked at the same time, and since electricity takes the path of least resistance, most of the current that does flow would be very local to the terminals between the L&N (/E), and not so much through the water elsewhere to give anyone a shock. get close enough and it could happen though

Local school had a major flood

200kVA service in cellar

Water to top of busbar chamber

When water subsided busbars had turned cherry red and twisted like a twisty thing that was overly twisted due to the heat generated

Water never reached the switchgear.....boiled the ***** in the boards service head though....serves her right for being in there

Not sure if they are the same on substations but the substations on the railways are self-resetting.  

I saw a video of an idiotic sub-contractor carrying scaffold poles over the live DCCR.  He dropped it and the flash over was huge.  the geezer legged it and the pole rested across the DCCR and the track.  About 30 seconds later another huge flash as the circuit breaker reset.

Yes, i was told by a DNO chap once that the HV ones. [not the LV] have a similar thing. They trip, and reset a short time later, then trip again, but lock out the second time. [seems to be a good ploy [with PROVEN track record!!] for catching pikeys trying to steal cables!!]

john..

Yes, i was told by a DNO chap once that the HV ones. [not the LV] have a similar thing. They trip, and reset a short time later, then trip again, but lock out the second time. [seems to be a good ploy [with PROVEN track record!!] for catching pikeys trying to steal cables!!]

john..
Yes indeed, locally, a member of the Travellers community became a 'late' member of the Travellers community a few months ago,when he got blown out through his wedding ring as he went late night shopping at a local,sub station

Hi Paul, I think the bloke said 2 or 3 times, cannot remember, but it was 30 years ago!! So far as i know the HV have MCCB type devices, [Only a bit bigger i expect] so at least they do trip, whereas the LV have fuses and they are allowed clearance times of 100 seconds!!!! [same bloke told me that!!] I know the LV fuses are rather large, up to 630A i believe!!

Whatever, the auto reset works well for pikeys!!

john...

What's a 'line fuse'? We were without power a couple of years ago due to one of them. It involved NEDL going up a pole to fix it.

it's a fuse, same as house but bigger!

Bigger than  a house!!! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LQJi_Ms8L3E?feature=oembed

:lol:

Just incase I get accused of escalating sillyness....

630a fuses in a feeder pillar with road names on them [road fuses]

20140514_160007_zpsnyobzmgp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: