Substitution of a Main Circuit Breaker with a surge protection combo

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirLouen

Reaction score
My distribution panel is 100% full except 1 spot and I have one Main Circuit Breaker, but one guy told me that it was a good idea to introduce a surge protection in the panel for the whole office, in fact, at least in my country, it has been introduced in the electricity laws somewhat recently. This is important because if there is an overvoltage that breaks something expensive like my servers, the insurance company will not be willing to pay anything because of this.

Since the MCB occupies two spots, I've been thinking on replacing it for a combo surge protection device that includes, both permanent and transient surge protection + the main circuit breaker I already have.

Something like this one (not sure which is the exact model in UK because this is the one being commercialized in EU currently):

1668191786443.png

The only thing is that this Schneider Electric device doesn't have cartridge replacements like this Toscano one:

1668192194114.png

Can anyone explain to me what is the difference?, and what is the point of such replacements?

I suspect that in case there is a massive overvoltage, for example made by a lightning it will completely break the one in the top having to fully replace it, while the one in the bot will only need to replace the cartridge I marked with green.

Is this right?

Latest posts