Fluke v Megger v Metrel v Dilog v Seaward etc.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was brought up on the old Robin separates and liked the "set the scale & hit the orange button" simplicity which has been carried on by Kewtech since Fluke took Robin over. I've had quite a bit of experience of other testers since & I found the Fluke multi-function tester a bit over complicated, the new Megger MFT testers however seem a lot more intuitive to use than the Fluke & I've been impressed. I know other people who would argue the opposite though!

I Use a Metrel, decent piece of kit only real gripe is the all in one plug for the leads, if one lead gets damaged need to replace the whole lot.

Hi

Have you tried talking to a couple of small calibration companies, they may tell you which are the most reliable (might be useful)

Megger all the way for me and the new MFT1730 looks like some serious bit of kit which I'm considering.

Megger | Test and Measurement | Electrical Test | Electrical Installation Testers | Megger Multifunction Installation Testers |1001-066 MFT1730

I could probably do away with a few of my meters (and cal costs) if I upgrade.

Can honestly say never really tried Fluke (other than my fluke T5 I wouldn't be without) but I have tried a pals Kewtech and it seemed to pick up alot of noise and the readings were all over the place.

As for Seaward.........well there not even a contender in my book X(

I've had robin separates which are great, except that the E/L tends to trip RCD's. I've had 4 x megger testers now, multi function and singles. The RCD and I/R single testers were great, but dont rate the earth loop testers to be honest. All of them gave very poor earth loop test results, the difference between high current and low current tests were massive, sometime up to 20 ohms!. These testers cost me more time going over work to see if there were faults than I can remember. Could never recommend a megger tester to anyone, not after my experience. I have a fluke multi function now and find it brilliant. Very easy to use and very accurate readings.