Fluorescent tube replacement with Phillips MAS ledtube

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy_spark

Reaction score
About 3 or 4 years ago Denmans had a clearance sale on Philips MAS LEDtube HF 1200 HO 14W865 T8 coating about £2 each.
I bought 5 because I've got a few 1200mm fluorescents in my house & garage with the view changing them when the fluorescents wore out.

Recently that time came and I realised that I had bought HF led tubes but no HF fittings....
Loath to discard the new tubes, I found some twin 4' HF fluorescents in CEF in a clearance sale for £4.95 each, and I bought two.
Tamlite 36W 4ft T8 Twin High Frequency Batten Fitting

I installed the fitting and it works fine with the 2 fluorescent tubes, so I put in the LEDs. It runs for about 4 seconds and then goes off, if I switch the light off and back on this process repeats. With one LED and one fluorescent it runs fine which is how it is right now. I've tried all the led tubes with the same result.

Has anyone experience of these tubes or the Tamlites? or Philips leds?
I'm hoping I maybe able to bypass the electronic ballast, but the instructions aren't very clear.

Out of interest the running 1 fluorescent draws roughly double the current of a LED tube, I've forgotten the actual figures but will test it again at some point.

I didn't know you could buy HF led replacement tubes.
I've always bypassed the old control,gear as it uses energy and is another point of failure
I didn't, and I never checked these when I bought them I was expecting to do as you say for all those reasons.
Probably explains why they were 2 quid to clear🙈...