Found During A Pir

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carried out a PIR the other day and found this :eek:

This isn't the worst thing though.... This RCD was in a board thats fed off a 16mm T&E sub main,, only that it's not a submain,, the T&E was wired directly into the tails via henly blocks and burried in the wall

Thankfully I had a replacement RCD in the van (Merlin Gerrin), however it's installation has doubled the value of the crappy CGD 16th ED board - only 10 years old!!

I think that it was in the cage.... It was one of those preformed link bars..

Have to have a think how to sort it out,,, sub main will need RCD but then there are 7 circuits which won't have any RCD discrimination

Great having a spare to 'make fit'...

You know... I've got a thing about burnt neutral terminals (as per my last but few post).

I'm convinced there are more burnt neutrals than lives... but no-one knows why.

Maybe I need to get out more (or a holiday?...lol!), but I'm getting a bit OCD about it now...

?..........but no-one knows why.

Maybe I need to get out more (or a holiday?...lol!), but I'm getting a bit OCD about it now...
Maybe you are getting. OCP?

I Had three jobs last week with burned out neutral,connections

Shower

Storage

400mm incomer to a server room MCCB

Just not quite understanding, but at the same time not caring

Canoeboy said:
None of you realise why the N burns out do you  ?   :slap

I find it quite steptoe to be honest :pmsl1:
FUC OFF    :red card

are you going to explain it? being the cleverer person you are,?

or does it need to be degrading coming from a numpty like me?  :|

It does always seem to be the Neutral but I have no idea why either.      Given the choice of yanking out a cable under load  I'd go for the L not the N .

Some say its these very hard copper cores  but its gone for years when they were soft copper.

Must to do with induction . 

hi there

There is an increasing tendency for burnt out neutrals as we connect more and more it equipment in our homes and offices due to leakage !

Also ups systems cause these issues  this is usually eliminated by the use of harmonic filters in office block etc 

but by the nature of pme systems etc the neutrals flow to other consumer units as well !

just a little thought for you to consider 

cheers madfridge

hi there

There is an increasing tendency for burnt out neutrals as we connect more and more it equipment in our homes and offices due to leakage !

Also ups systems cause these issues  this is usually eliminated by the use of harmonic filters in office block etc 

but by the nature of pme systems etc the neutrals flow to other consumer units as well !

just a little thought for you to consider 

cheers madfridge
:C   O)   :shakehead  

Does it normally happen when 3-phase supplies are split to supply a single phase to 3 properties? The imbalance of the loads could cause high currents in the neutral leading to overheating at the terminals. the neutral terminal at the main switch could be the weakest point in the circuit also because of its design (not as sturdy as the meter terminals), the overheating and cooling causing mechanical stress to the joint and the neutral may not have been tightened as firmly as live and earth because it is deemed "less important".

I don't deal much with three phase.

Not really Rob, a 3 ph DNO supply split to 3 dwellings will simply be 3 off in number 1ph loads with Phase & neutral conductors sized according to the DNO rules, and, these days almost certainly a CNE conductor, so the N will be adequate for each loaded phase.

The days of the N conductor being smaller than the phases are long gone.
Ah yes,

diminished neutrals

Red white and blue instead of this new fandangled red tellow blue

Black plastic rawl plugs

Metal backboxes made from steel and NOT cheese

Terminals you could fit screws in

Ivory accessories

PYRO buried direct

Ricketts

Ringworm

Just reminiscing........NURSE! Can i have my special medicine please before I get meself settled for the night

Latest posts