Freesat hd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
Hi all, I am installing a freesat dish and box do you have any helpfull tips.

Many thanks.

any helpfull tips?
1/ Don't go outdoors in the rain without a coat.

2/ Always check you have your mobile phone fully charged just in case of emergencies!

3/ 'Charlie's Boys' in the 3:30 at Doncaster is on good form I was told!!!!

:p :tongue in cheek

sorry.....

:coat

Point the dish at the satelite ..... its that twinkly dot ..just up there look!! no not that one ...thats Mars ...just to the left of Orion's earhole !!!

Or do as I did , buy HD TV , Currys fitted dish , no worrys .

Remember the word on the street is that HD is only appreciable on screens of 42" or bigger , I don't know how true that is.

Remember the word on the street is that..........
Word on the street round here is that....

"Larry the fence, & Barry the shooter are both out again on parole.. so keep your valuables and daughters locked up"!

:| ;)

Have I got to change me Black & White set now, and pay the full colour licence?

Or will the HD work if I put more valves in the back?

:(

Point the dish at the satelite ..... its that twinkly dot ..just up there look!! no not that one ...thats Mars ...just to the left of Orion's earhole !!!Or do as I did , buy HD TV , Currys fitted dish , no worrys .

Remember the word on the street is that HD is only appreciable on screens of 42" or bigger , I don't know how true that is.
Alas not so, you see it's all about Geosynchronous orbits

Regards A Smartarse

And for the OP, get a compass point the dish at 146 magnetic, inclination is between 23-25 deg dependant on the latitude of the dish install.

This site is useful http://www.dishpointer.com/

And get a decent meter like the Fringe

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRINGE-2-1-Satellite-TV-Signal-Meter-Finder-Sat-/190373498738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c53250f72#ht_1855wt_1139

Needs power from the Sky/FreeSat receiver or another 12v source for the Sat side to work, if anyone is remotely interested I'll post up how to make a compact 12v supply for the Fringe

Make sure you line up with the correct satellite, astra, 28.2E and i'm guessing from your location probably a 25 -26 degree of pitch from horizontal . Its made easier if you have a meter, bearing in mind the meter 'Robojin' is recommending will only give you signal strength and not quality and wont tell you whether you are pointing it at the satellite you want.

Make a nice watertight connection on the LNB.

Check for trees in the way or that could be in the way after a year or two.

That's it really.

Make sure you line up with the correct satellite, astra, 28.2E and i'm guessing from your location probably a 25 -26 degree of pitch from horizontal . Its made easier if you have a meter, bearing in mind the meter 'Robojin' is recommending will only give you signal strength and not quality and wont tell you whether you are pointing it at the satellite you want.Make a nice watertight connection on the LNB.

Check for trees in the way or that could be in the way after a year or two.

That's it really.
But the compass will :) (if used correctly)

And for most the Pro meters with LCD's sold on eBay are an unrealistic cost if you don't install dishes for a living

Correct the Fringe will indicate the strongest signal of the Sat that you have aligned with, signal quality is down to things you can or can't influence

Can influence

1) Appropriate dish size for location

2) LNB quality (at prime focal point and offset)

4) Quality of cable (CT100 foam filled) and minimal joints (ideally 2x LNB and STB)

5) Correct alignment with Sat you wish to use

6) Positioning of dish relative to Line of site of near by physical objects that would attenuate signal (Buildings, local Trees etc)

Can't influence

1) Quality of Sky box or dish supplied by Sky

2) Distant immovable large obstacles (Hills, Flats and other tall buildings)

3) Adverse weather conditions

Amalgam tape is used for a weather-tight seal, however on Quad and Octo this can be difficult to do when up a ladder due to physical space between connectors and the need to get a tight wrap for the tape to work. LNB's typically have drop weather shields, if you feel the need to seal you can get rubber boots but these are still fiddly and I'd put safety first over worrying too much about this. Not forgetting that Sky contractors don't bother (make your own judgement here)

I got a free ebook from satcure.net. It may not be free to everyone - the owner was a member of a messageboard I was on.