Going Back To work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having been retired now for 3 years, I've been thinking after many years and experience in the working world, I've decided to start something new again. I just thought I'd run it by you guys first.

I will be offering training courses for teenagers starting before Christmas.

Due to increasing demand, each course starts on the principle: first come, first served.

Content: Coaching and practical tasks.

One module runs for over 6 weeks.

The course is aimed at all young people (Male / Female / Ladies Hairdressers).

The course starts Dec 2023

Participation via Zoom or Teams is possible.

Module 1:
"Toilets"
  • How does the paper get out of the wrapper to the toilet paper holder?
  • What happens when toilet paper is empty?
  • How boys can improve their aim
  • Lids open or closed?
  • Group discussion
  • Practical exercises
Module 2:
"Dirty clothes" - what do we do next?
  • Difference between the laundry basket and floor.
  • PowerPoint Presentation
  • Chart.
Module 3:
"Basics of dishwasher"
  • How do dishes get off the table into the dishwasher?
  • How dishes get from the dishwasher to cupboards after cleaning.
  • In-depth Seminar -
  • Difficulties and solution strategies for removing dishes and garbage from the bedrooms.
Module 4:
"How do you find stuff without asking your parents?"
  • Opening cabinets
  • Likely places
  • Open discussion
Module 5:
How do the clean dishes get back into the right place in the kitchen cabinet?
  • Video example
  • Practical exercises.

Module 6:
"Sink function + the roll out"
  • Practical exercises
  • What a clean table means
  • What is needed to drain a sink.
  • Practical exercises in groups.

FINAL EXAM

I think there is definitely a need for this course amongst the generation Z and upwards. I wish you luck but don’t hold out much hope that you’ll still be sane at the end of it!!!

I wish you well. Those area such good practical classes. Maybe you could offer them to college / university students also.

I doubt you would get DBS clearance to discuss some of the content on your course with those of a sensitive age.

Whilst I fully support your idea I doubt this woke generation would allow it. 🤣🤣🤣

Having been retired now for 3 years, I've been thinking after many years and experience in the working world, I've decided to start something new again. I just thought I'd run it by you guys first.

I will be offering training courses for teenagers starting before Christmas.

Due to increasing demand, each course starts on the principle: first come, first served.

Content: Coaching and practical tasks.

One module runs for over 6 weeks.

The course is aimed at all young people (Male / Female / Ladies Hairdressers).

The course starts Dec 2023

Participation via Zoom or Teams is possible.

Module 1:
"Toilets"
  • How does the paper get out of the wrapper to the toilet paper holder?
  • What happens when toilet paper is empty?
  • How boys can improve their aim
  • Lids open or closed?
  • Group discussion
  • Practical exercises
Module 2:
"Dirty clothes" - what do we do next?
  • Difference between the laundry basket and floor.
  • PowerPoint Presentation
  • Chart.
Module 3:
"Basics of dishwasher"
  • How do dishes get off the table into the dishwasher?
  • How dishes get from the dishwasher to cupboards after cleaning.
  • In-depth Seminar -
  • Difficulties and solution strategies for removing dishes and garbage from the bedrooms.
Module 4:
"How do you find stuff without asking your parents?"
  • Opening cabinets
  • Likely places
  • Open discussion
Module 5:
How do the clean dishes get back into the right place in the kitchen cabinet?
  • Video example
  • Practical exercises.

Module 6:
"Sink function + the roll out"
  • Practical exercises
  • What a clean table means
  • What is needed to drain a sink.
  • Practical exercises in groups.

FINAL EXAM
Please add Module 7 - How to express yourself in plain English

Not using "like", "y'know" & "whatever"

Avoiding using "incredible" & "incredibly" to describe things that are readily believable

Not starting to answer every question with "So, ..."

To be fair, it's not just youngsters who need this training, there are plenty of older people who should know better, especially so-called professional communicators in the media.

Avoiding using "incredible" & "incredibly" to describe things that are readily believable

To be fair, it's not just youngsters who need this training, there are plenty of older people who should know better, especially so-called professional communicators in the media.
my current pet hate is decribing events/ things by country, eg the recent Waitrose advert for 'Japan' meal range, rather than 'Japanese' or 'France wild fires', rather than 'French wild fires', or 'wild fires in France'. You have to wonder who is teaching Engand to journalists ;)

It seems to me that as soon as a child hits six months most parents think they are geniuses and have an intelligence way above any other child.
A friend of a friend who happens to be a farmer's daughter was told by a teacher how bright and gifted their child was she replied, I think you have the wrong mother you are not describing my son. Made me laugh.

Add my per hate. OF and HAVE are NOT the same word.

So many people say "I could of done that" NO NO NO. It's "I could HAVE done that"

It seems to me that as soon as a child hits six months most parents think they are geniuses and have an intelligence way above any other child.
A friend of a friend who happens to be a farmer's daughter was told by a teacher how bright and gifted their child was she replied, I think you have the wrong mother you are not describing my son. Made me laugh.
Teachers like to give positive feedback these days. It's fair to say it does tend to get the best out of kids, but, doesn't do much for life in the real world...

It's nice to know your friend isn't teaching their child that they are a 'little prince or princess'...

Teachers like to give positive feedback these days. It's fair to say it does tend to get the best out of kids, but, doesn't do much for life in the real world...

It's nice to know your friend isn't teaching their child that they are a 'little prince or princess'...
The school (new name 'academy') where I worked, the headteacher decided launch a scheme to reward brats students for good behaviour. Every month, book tokens would be issued to the value of £10 for students who met the target. I asked what qualified as good behaviour, she said Homework completed on time, arriving on time, behaviour in class, being polite etc. I said in my view, that was normal behaviour not good behaviour and I didn't feel it warranted reward. It was akin to the police stopping you and giving you a £50 amazon voucher for not breaking the speed limit. I didn't think it was preparing our students for the real world outside where such rewards don't exist. I was told in no uncertain terms that I didn't have a degree, I wasn't a teaching professional and that I should leave such matters to the people who were trained and qualified in such matters.
The scheme lasted 2 terms, very few rewards given out and no improvement in behaviour.
The next gambit was for some of the more unruly students to spend a day with the fire brigade, this was a huge success in some ways but not in others. Unruly students gained a lot from playing firefighters, the well behaved students however said 'we want some of that' and started misbehaving so that they too got to spend a day with fireman Sam.
The headteacher was a lovely lady but as with most 'do gooders' little by way of common sense.

The school (new name 'academy') where I worked, the headteacher decided launch a scheme to reward brats students for good behaviour. Every month, book tokens would be issued to the value of £10 for students who met the target. I asked what qualified as good behaviour, she said Homework completed on time, arriving on time, behaviour in class, being polite etc. I said in my view, that was normal behaviour not good behaviour and I didn't feel it warranted reward. It was akin to the police stopping you and giving you a £50 amazon voucher for not breaking the speed limit. I didn't think it was preparing our students for the real world outside where such rewards don't exist. I was told in no uncertain terms that I didn't have a degree, I wasn't a teaching professional and that I should leave such matters to the people who were trained and qualified in such matters.
The scheme lasted 2 terms, very few rewards given out and no improvement in behaviour.
The next gambit was for some of the more unruly students to spend a day with the fire brigade, this was a huge success in some ways but not in others. Unruly students gained a lot from playing firefighters, the well behaved students however said 'we want some of that' and started misbehaving so that they too got to spend a day with fireman Sam.
The headteacher was a lovely lady but as with most 'do gooders' little by way of common sense.
1/ so what's your common sense answer to the brats?
2/ why do people have a problem with do-gooders who are trying to improve society? I rather think the phrase belongs with 'gammon' and 'woke' and is a complete crock of shit!

Cost of sending young people to prison below, NB that article was written in 2010, so will be higher than that now. Cost of an adult in prison is just under £50k per year from government sources, and that does not include indirect costs, police, NHS care for victims and other things such as you and me having to install burgular alarms, fortify our homes, pay extra for insurance to cover damage done etc etc

Last month there were 2,195 children aged 10 to 17 imprisoned in England and Wales. Each costs £100,000 a year and an extra £40,000 in indirect costs to society once they are released.

Aleksi Knuutila, author of the report, said: "Prison costs the public purse about six times more than sending a child to Eton. What really makes our obsessive use of prisons even more of a tragedy is that those resources could have been used to tackle crime much more effectively.

You ask any teacher or social worker what there biggest issue is and they will all say OFSTEAD, the drive to meet 'targets' and league tables is actually preventing professional people form doing their jobs properly at the cost of young peoples lives, and ultimatley the public purse. The old adage ' the devil makes work for idle hands' is so true.

In the context I think the, "do-gooders", John is referring to are those who advocate not disciplining young children but leaving them to run wild if they so desire, ignoring any attempts to correct them, so that they grow up believing this is acceptable.
To me, this flies in the face of common sense and certainly does not improve society..
Everyone accepts that a puppy has to be trained to produce a well behaved adult dog, so why are humans any different?.