frost/pipe stat connection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainydays

Reaction score
Hi all, can someone tell me where you connect the return from a pipe stat, into a y plan wiring centre, does it go in with the white of the mid position valve or can it go directly in with the boiler live?

Y plan virgin so just trying to get a head start before i get there.

Thank`s in advance for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated

No you can't connect it straight to the boiler as this will make the pump run with no where to pump the water, you need to connect the frost stat to perm live so it will work even if the time clock isn't calling for heat, and then the switch wire from frost stat to the white wire on the valve. This way when the frost stat is calling for heat the heating will run hope this helps CJS

Thanks CJS i knew about the permanent live part. I was referring to the core coming back from the pipe stat to the wiring centre.

I re-read my first post and it probably sounded as though i was asking if you connected it in with the permanent live going to the boiler.

What i meant was LR going to the boiler.

Yes, the return from the frost stat should go to terminal 5 with the white wire. If you look at the wiring diagram, you will see that this simulates the timer and roomstat calling for heat whilst maintaining the HW off signal. Thus water will only pump round the heating circuit.