Fuse for a switch box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh0rtC1rcu1t

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I ordered this 6 way weatherproof switchbox from eBay and wanted to ensure I use the correct fuse. The instructions say "If the product is connected to the house supply by a 13Amp plug no notification is required to the local building inspector", however I am only going to be using the switchbox to power low power things, such as pond pumps & filters.

I will be connecting it to a plug, connected to an RCD inside the house.

It's fitted with a T5 Amp Anti-Surge 20x5mm fuse inside the switchbox itself, but I wanted to make sure that I'm definitely using the correct Ampage fuse in the switchbox plug.

Would I use a 13 amp fuse in the switchboxes plug?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you would also be well advised to

have the IP rating from the manufacturer/

supplier. The E bay entry does not have it.

Beg pardon; IP 44 is stated as a seal on

the lid.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the eBay entry it says

Environment: temp. range -10 to +50 Deg. C sealed to IP44
However, when I received it, on the front of the box it actually says IP56

Cheers

If the description is IP 44 on the ad,

I would suggest that is an absolute

minimum.

IP 56 is a lot tighter as a specification.

Try and use a lower fuse rating in the plug.

I do not think pond equipment is anywhere

near 13 Amp.

I think it's IP 56 as the front cover says that (which I have in front of me now)

Most of my pond equipment plugs use 3 amp fuses, there is a built in T5 Amp Anti-Surge 20x5mm inside the switchbox, that's mainly why I was querying what fuse to use. When I spoke to them, they said "use a 13 amp fuse as a 5 amp fuse is already fitted inside the switchbox" but I thought a 13 amp fuse is a bit high for pond equipment?

What fuse would you recommend using?

Thanks

The manufacturer must state the IP rating;

with all respect it is not for you to infer.

Yes, 13A is high for pond kit; and I would

suggest this is a maximum.

If connected via a plug, notification is

not needed because you are not altering a

final circuit.

Ok, thanks Technician.

What fuse should I use if 13A is too high? Should I try it on a 5 amp (baring in mind it has a T5 Amp Anti-Surge 20x5mm fuse built in)?

Thanks again

Try for a clamp read if you can.

I cannot imagine this kit drawing

any more than 3 amp.

An old type VDU can pull up to 1.

I think I'll try it on a 3 amp fuse. Each plug that will be connected to it only uses a 3 amp fuse. The worst that will happen is the fuse would blow, correct?

Thanks again Technician, +rep

Try 3 and leave it at that if all is

OK.

Can you test the RCD?

Regards.

It may be that the original enclosure used to manufacture the assembly was IP65, however, once modified and the additional parts fitted the manufacturer of the assembly is only prepared to give it an IP44 rating.

It is the assembly manufacturer whose information you must take.

IF you want discrimination between supply and loads then you will struggle to get this with slow blow fuses.