Gaming Computer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignoring the other factors I would probably lean towards not using onboard graphics as priority 1.

So if your budget is £250 then that means you want at least £30 for a graphics card, so buy the best PC you can for £220. I think I would rather have a dual core with 8GB RAM over an i3 with 4GB RAM, which I suppose means memory is priority 2 and clock speed is priority 3.

just checked my 'old' PC,

it has a 550w PSU, so I suppose, I could give him that, and my monitor, a 22" LED and then splash out an extra 30£ on a graphics card for the £250 PC

I know I dont want to put you on the spot,

and I wont hold you responsible,

would you buy the cheaper PC with 4G ram and graphics card and PSU, or the i3 with 8G ram and the graphics card for approx 40£ more

I may have answered my own question there,

I just dont understand the difference between an Intel Pentium Dual Core G3260 3.3Ghz and an Intel Core i3-4160

as the 2nd one doesnt even give a speed or anything I can relate to.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://ark.intel.com/products/77488/Intel-Core-i3-4160-Processor-3M-Cache-3_60-GHz

# of Cores 2

# of Threads 4

Processor Base Frequency 3.6 GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/87356/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3260-3M-Cache-3_30-GHz

# of Cores 2

# of Threads 2

Processor Base Frequency 3.3 GHz

Neither are terrible, but for the extra £40 I would get the i3, especially as it has the 8GB memory.
cheers Lurch

I did sort of work that out, after working out I could cannabalise my ancient PC for a PSU if I needed to, [the PSU is actually only a couple of years old btw, I replaced it recently]

just glad to have someone with the knowledge to sort of confirm it for me,

it now seems to be a no brainer,

I'll still try and talk his grandad into buying him the graphics card,  :)

ok, thanks Lurch,

I took the plunge at beginning of week, and ordered this one

bloody typical,

if I'd waited I coulda had the £20 cashback  : headbang

but was worried if it didnt arrive on time, its due tomorrow,

and, as the missus says, it can be the house PC, albeit, simply living in sons bedroom,,,   :)

wife says he can sort a graphics card out himself with money that he is most likely to get for xmas from my side of family [overseas], and I can put the 550w psu I have in old PC in it to compensate for the 250w one in it, seems most cards want at least 300w psu.

PS4. Nothing comes close and you can put adult controls on to restrict what he has access to.
thats utter rubbish essex, a pc is cheaper and better graphics and because of steam its actually cheaper in the long run.

a ps4 is easier to use and probably better suited to your sun because it will always work

thats utter rubbish essex, a pc is cheaper and better graphics and because of steam its actually cheaper in the long run.

a ps4 is easier to use and probably better suited to your sun because it will always work

actually, even though we did get him [us] a PC, i'd totally disagree with you,

a gaming machine will always be better than a PC at playing games imho, its designed purely for that purpose,

a PC is designed for something totally different, its just more adaptable, it does lots of things, it just doesnt excel at any of them, especially if you use windoze, then its not even very good at being a computer,  :C

I disagree
i agree with manny.

the pc might have a lot more overheads but pc component's were quite a bit morepowerful than the ps4 on release day.

you can play at 4k on a pc but some ps4 games wont play at 60fps at 1080p.....

on a pc you can play any game with keyboard,pd4 controller xbox  controller etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I was playing games that had 120fps in the early 1990's on PC. Most of that was online.

Latest posts