garage quote

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

quoting for power to a garage.

its about 40m away from the cu, some clipped and some underground, he wants a 32A ring and 6A for lights.

is 6mm swa ok for this?

thanks

Oh its a TT so should i export (hahahaha)

hello chaps,

quoting for power to a garage.

its about 40m away from the cu, some clipped and some underground, he wants a 32A ring and 6A for lights.

is 6mm swa ok for this?

thanks

Oh its a TT so should i export (hahahaha)

Why 32amp ring? Will not a 16amp radial do?

Whats going to be protective device at consumer unit/ origin of cct?

Why 32amp ring? Will not a 16amp radial do?

Whats going to be protective device at consumer unit/ origin of cct?

WTF is he drilling (joke lol). If he is only using 1 heater (max 13amps) then any portable hand tools are only going to be used for short periods of time so your not going to get an overload, so why not say put in a 20amp radial then for his sockets.

6mm cable on 32amp can according to OSG be 49 metres in length.

It does say 40 metres on a 40amp type B cb/rcbo, I dont know but I wouldnt personally want to go that high.

WTF is he drilling (joke lol). If he is only using 1 heater (max 13amps) then any portable hand tools are only going to be used for short periods of time so your not going to get an overload, so why not say put in a 20amp radial then for his sockets.

6mm cable on 32amp can according to OSG be 49 metres in length.

It does say 40 metres on a 40amp type B cb/rcbo, I dont know but I wouldnt personally want to go that high.

WTF is he drilling (joke lol). If he is only using 1 heater (max 13amps) then any portable hand tools are only going to be used for short periods of time so your not going to get an overload, so why not say put in a 20amp radial then for his sockets.6mm cable on 32amp can according to OSG be 49 metres in length.

His wife prob lol

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 07:46 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

Thanks chaps. I will quote for a 20a radial and 6 for lights and stick a 32 in the db

WTF is he drilling (joke lol). If he is only using 1 heater (max 13amps) then any portable hand tools are only going to be used for short periods of time so your not going to get an overload, so why not say put in a 20amp radial then for his sockets.6mm cable on 32amp can according to OSG be 49 metres in length.

His wife prob lol

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 07:46 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

Thanks chaps. I will quote for a 20a radial and 6 for lights and stick a 32 in the db

Don't forget your volt drop calcs need to include the circuits in the garage - you can't use up all your 3% [*]on the distribution circuit!

* he is having lights, isn't he!

Oh, and I have found that in the winter a 3kW fan heater makes no appreciable impression in a garage (mine is a fairly new brick jobby). I use a small propane space heater.

Don't forget your volt drop calcs need to include the circuits in the garage - you can't use up all your 3% [*]on the distribution circuit!

* he is having lights, isn't he!

Oh, and I have found that in the winter a 3kW fan heater makes no appreciable impression in a garage (mine is a fairly new brick jobby). I use a small propane space heater.

32A is not unreasonable. What if he wants to use a welder? 16A would be barely adequate.

My own garage has it's own 32A ring for this very reason.

32A is not unreasonable. What if he wants to use a welder? 16A would be barely adequate.

My own garage has it's own 32A ring for this very reason.

Prodave , you're doing the classic sparky thing there " What if he wants to use a welder?" I always try to avoid those assumptions , no one has mentioned a welder .

Another classic is " I always wire showers in 10mm in case someone wants to fit a 10.5 KW shower " (In 10 years time !!!) Perhaps its very comendable but its not a road that I go down .

Prodave , you're doing the classic sparky thing there " What if he wants to use a welder?" I always try to avoid those assumptions , no one has mentioned a welder .

Another classic is " I always wire showers in 10mm in case someone wants to fit a 10.5 KW shower " (In 10 years time !!!) Perhaps its very comendable but its not a road that I go down .

Would say that in most cases 20A would be plenty for sockets although I

agree with Prodave, my own garage has a 40A supply for the same reason in case I want to use a welder.

But then I wired my own garage, with my cable and my money. I don't mind future proofing my own house, but is sometimes difficult convincing other people when other they are paying.

Would say that in most cases 20A would be plenty for sockets although I

agree with Prodave, my own garage has a 40A supply for the same reason in case I want to use a welder.

But then I wired my own garage, with my cable and my money. I don't mind future proofing my own house, but is sometimes difficult convincing other people when other they are paying.