grid switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

can some one please run through the instlation of grid switches, i havent done any before.

do i use a normal back box with a yoke? what depth is best?

thanks chaps

paul

for 1 & 2 way or 3 & 4 way, normal backboxes can be used, although they are available. anything larger and its needs its own backbox.

you need a metal frame to hold the grid switches and then the front plate. upto you how you wire it, either put frame into place, wire individually and push into frame, or fit switches to frame, wire and screw frame back. or a mixture. depends whats going to be easier

and dont forget to earth the frame

You don't need a yoke.

Frame screws into normal switch plate holes on the back box.

You screw it back till it's flush with the level of the wall, and then the face plate screws to the frame tightening everything up.

If it's a bit loose, undo the face plate, tighten the frame screws a bit and replace the face plate.

I thought back boxes with yokes, were the ones that you can put two single switch plates or sockets on to.

The yoke spans the middle of the back box, and the back box is a little larger than a normal double back box.

I thought back boxes with yokes, were the ones that you can put two single switch plates or sockets on to.The yoke spans the middle of the back box, and the back box is a little larger than a normal double back box.
Never heard of that before, they're just dual accessory boxes. Could be a regional thing again?

Yeah, dual accessory box. Call the bit in the middle a yoke if you want, dunno, I'm not from London and don;t work there. Does everyone else in London call it a yoke?

Well that is a frame, but it isn;t related to either grid switches or dual accessory boxes so not sure why you've thrown that in the mix.

ahhh ok, so for a 4 gang i need a dual box and not a double
No. For a 4 gang you need a double box. You would need a dual box for 2 x 2 gang.

I think it's the new grid plus system.

No for 4 gang you will need one double back box.

If you use the MK grid plus. It used to be one frame fits all, now you need to get the correct fram for 4 switches.

The dual box is for putting a plug socket on one side and perhaps an ariel socket the other.

Yes they work with dry lining boxes.

so if i had switch that was 4gang 3way i would use a standard 2gang backbox
Yes. Just make them as deep as possible, especially if there's a few extra cables i for loops\strappers etc... Minimum depth is a 25mm for grid switches.