hallway ceiling roses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky

Reaction score
hello people,thank you for letting me join.im in need of some help please?im replacing 2 ceiling roses in the hallway,with led lamps using wagu connectors,theres is 2 double switches in the hallway one either end to turn off the lights at both ends etc..ive managed to do one light without any problems,but the other one im struggling with.it has 2 red cables 2 black earth and 1 yellow cable,ive used my multimeter and flicked the switch and im not getting any readings at all so i dont know which was is the switch live cable?i hope this makes sense and any help will be very much appreciated thanks

I don't suppose you took pictures before you started dismantling?

Attachments

• IMG_20240409_121451.jpg
    IMG_20240409_121451.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240409_121510.jpg
    IMG_20240409_121510.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240409_121535.jpg
    IMG_20240409_121535.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240409_121709.jpg
    IMG_20240409_121709.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240409_121721.jpg
    IMG_20240409_121721.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240409_121727.jpg
    IMG_20240409_121727.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240409_121734.jpg
    IMG_20240409_121734.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Need to see the connections in the new light. You say they both operate from the same switches together and not separately.

The one I've done was easy,it had 3 red they all went together,2 blacks went in blue,earth separate.then the switch live went with the brown on the light.but the other one I'm baffled.its a hallway and got double switch both ends of the hallway.

So the three reds were connected together but not to the light?
Does the double switch do each light so, one switch one light the second switch the other?

Sorry the 3 reds were all together in the loop section of the rose.but the other one only has 2 of each,if I rig it up and turn the electric on the light stays on fully and only goes off if turn off at the box.

How are you rigging it up?
Confirm if each light is individually switched for example, they don't go on and off together.

How are you rigging it up?
Confirm if each light is individually switched for example, they don't go on and off together.
Earth in a separate connection,2 reds together and the 2 blacks together when I flick the box on the light is on and if I try the switch it blows.double switches at both ends so you can turn the lights on or off from both ends.

It blows because you are creating a dead short between live and neutral.
Confirm whether the three reds in the other switch are not connected to the light, just connected together.

It blows because you are creating a dead short between live and neutral.
Confirm whether the three reds in the other switch are not connected to the light, just connected together.
Ok thanks I'll have a look at it tomorrow.i know I put all 3 reds in a wagu 3 connector.

Do you have any idea where the yellow went. This is part of another cable with the blue and red wires pushed up into the ceiling.

Do you have any idea where the yellow went. This is part of another cable with the blue and red wires pushed up into the ceiling.
I've no idea if I'm being honest.scratching my head all morning yesterday,I've done a few in my time but this ****** has got me stumped.i don't even know what the yellow cable is for,someone said it could be a strapper but I've no idea what one of them is.

Thought you had tied a knot and stuck on the ceiling. 😁.

If you have only two cables, and assuming each light is switched separately from the 2 gang switch, then you have a switch line and power feed. With the power off, open the switch, you should find one black and one red wired into the switch. Join those together, and test at the light for which cable is the switch line.

Latest posts