GU10 Light Fitting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisSpark

Reaction score
I've replaced the old MR16 halogen spot lights & transformers in the bathroom ceiling with mains fed GU10 LED bulbs.

I've fitted them into the same recessed light fittings in the ceiling but I don't know if these light fittings should be earthed.

They weren't earthed before as they were holding the 12V halogen bulbs, but now they are holding the 240V LED bulbs.

Can anyone help with this?

They may need to be earthed .... have a look on the fitting  for the Double Insulated  symbol  ....its one square inside another .

If its not there it would best to get new double insulated  ( Class2)  fittings    theres the  JCC  ones around  £ 7.00  to  £ 8.00 .   You already have the expensive bit.

OK so I think the best solution is to change the fittings to double insulated type. Are these easy to buy? Had a look on-line but none of them mention that they are double insulated.

Also, how dangerous is it to use the lights as they are? Should I not be using them?

Most of the cheaper units are double insulated.

What units have you fitted? We can check the spec for you.

cheers, Paul

So I've attached a picture of the existing light fitting. I'm guessing this is not suitable for 240V LED GU10 bulbs?fitting.jpg

I have seen those fittings used with mains lamps before but personally  I wouldn't do it, the modern fitting is totally enclosed by a "can" at the back, this stops anything from getting into the fitting but more importantly if the fitting overheats it prevents fire spreading into the void.

Not sure I agree with above but that lamp is too close to the joust.

Cans are only required where a separate dwelling is above....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing this is not suitable for 240V LED GU10 bulbs?

It might not be the most suitable but I wouldn't say it isn't suitable.

Cans are only required where a separate dwelling is above....

No, fire rated fittings are required when the surface they are being installed into is a fire barrier. This may or may not have anything to do with a dwelling being above.

Latest posts