Has this been wired incorrectly or for a reason

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob2020

Reaction score
Good Evening

I posted a question a while ago and received really helpful advice, something was highlighted separately since then and I wanted to get peoples opinions.

I am moving and will be taking the existing fitting and putting a standard rose fitting back.

It was highlighted that the electrician has the light blue going from the neutral to the live and that this is wrong (certainly sounds it) is that correct?

this particular light can be switched on and off from two separate light switches.

In my new property I plan to repeat how the wiring has been done here but I don't want to repeat an initial error if that is the case.

Currently the light does work exactly how you would expect so if it is wired incorrectly I'm not sure how it works.

20201105_124652 (2).jpg

Good Evening

I posted a question a while ago and received really helpful advice, something was highlighted separately since then and I wanted to get peoples opinions.

I am moving and will be taking the existing fitting and putting a standard rose fitting back.

It was highlighted that the electrician has the light blue going from the neutral to the live and that this is wrong (certainly sounds it) is that correct?

this particular light can be switched on and off from two separate light switches.

In my new property I plan to repeat how the wiring has been done here but I don't want to repeat an initial error if that is the case.

Currently the light does work exactly how you would expect so if it is wired incorrectly I'm not sure how it works.

View attachment 11060

20201105_124638 (1).jpg

It still works because reverse polarity won't affect the operation of a lamp but CAN affect the safety of the fitting.  For example if the fitting used the screw type lamp-holders the outer sleeve of the lamp base would be live, or if it was a fitting incorporating a switch the lamp would remain live when off.

yep, wired wrong polarity.
So just to confirm that when I put up my light in my new property I should make sure the light blue cable that goes from the Wago with the neutrals of the wiring goes to the neutral of the light fitting and put the switch live cable into the live of the light? And of course the earths.

Can I ask why the loop cables aren't used?

Can I ask why the loop cables aren't used?

The three reds?  Oh but they are being used.  One carries the live feed from your consumer unit, another goes off to the light switch and the third one continues the live feed to more lights elsewhere in the house.

In your case your return from the switch appears to be a single red. That's a bit unusual it's often the black core of the switch cable, ideally but not invariably sleeved red.

You will quite likely find the same in your new house, these days live being brown and neutral blue.  Take care not to mix them up. If you just disconnect them all it can be hard to put back together.