Header Tank

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliebrown

Reaction score
New 1yr old Potterton Promax SL15, Supplied and fitted by British Gas. BG's Homecare came last month fitted new fan as boiler making weird buzzing knocking noises. Not cured so they called out Baxi and their engineer changed heat exchanger,the Baxi engineer said the refill was slow after fitting the heat exchanger however the boiler now silent.

Baxi engineer also said there was a small amount of muck in the h/exchanger so that means BG did not do the power CLEAN properly as the whole job to remove old and replace with new boiler only took 1.5 days,not long enough to have done an efffective power clean. Now rads gurgle on each of the two cycles when boiler powers up for heating so today decided to check the header tank.

Floaters in the tank now out and drying out to estabilsh what. Nothing could have fallen in as the tank sits on its own with nothing around or above it so it's a mystery what this foreign matter is unless its a mix of muck and chemical, it stinks to high heaven, because when the water was disturbed it really stank like stagnant pond and the water is black. On bleeding rads to combat the gurgle no air only water comes out also I'm told there is an air expeling valve on the pump flow pipe on the end of extended pipe, so assume this is where the air would blow out by undoing the knurled nut/valve. Slow fill means I would say restricted flow in the feed to boiler which again means BG did not do the job properly. Opinions and possible amunition to throw at them please.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Is there a lid on the tank? Could a something have died in the tank, rat, bird, mouse. The water in my header tanks always appears cleanish, don't get me wrong I wouldn't drink it but it is not manky and it doesn't stink. I have seen dead mammals and birds in tanks previously though.