Hello and thankyou all.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all.
I have gained loads of knowledge from your posts over the years, so firstly a big thankyou to you all.
Now I need to earn some money after being made redundant last year and since having do all these bloody expensive electrical courses....
I am Level 3 electrically skilled with 30 years experience in the petrochemicals industry. (I.C.I then Huntsman then Sabic/Saudi Aramco).
I still hold my compex so could continue in this area of work but I fancy a new challenge.
Ive done my 18th edition and 2391 Inspect test amendment 2.
Now I have registered as a sole trader, paid for insurance, business cards, tools etc......
apparently I need to join a competant persons scheme too.
Is there a list of work I can do without having to join Napit for example, as I just want to earn a living, especially with xmas looming and my wifes Amazon addiction to fund......
I understand their are 3 ways to get work certified so Minor works is what I am looking at to start. Do I need to give the client a certificate after every job no matter how little? does anyone actually do this?

Am I correct in thinking these works are non notifiable -

*adding fused spurs to existing circuits
*fire and smoke alarms (usually fed from lighting cct)
*EICR's
*pat testing
*burglar alarm systems
*off grid small scale solar (I have a shed and greenhouse powered by 12vdc/18vdc/240vAC inverted). This charges power banks, all my makita 18v batterys and supplies interior lighting, usb powered fans/humidifier/lighting for my chilli plant greenhouse.
*Installing smart tech
*Installing electric radiators and underfloor heating, to existing rings or fused spurs. (hoping to get these in my home soon after installing solar)
*Comms wiring, security gate wiring
*replacing or upgrading fittings.

An exhaustive list would be welcome for me to refer to, so feel free to add to or remove even......after discussing why for us to learn.

Also I have just bought this book after hearing the EFIXX boys talking with docs- store last week -

Students guide for IET Wiring regulationsBS7671 :2018 +a2 2022 by George Murphy

Its a godsend for someone like me getting a better understanding of the regs.....best £30 I have ever spent!

Anyway, would be great to keep learning from the experienced tradesmen on here, so am looking forward to using this forum more as my electrical journey continues......

Cheers n stuff

Leigh

welcome

re MWCs - when would you issue a cert and when wouldn’t you?

have you opened a business account and got a website ?

I am Level 3 electrically skilled
Ive done my 18th edition and 2391 Inspect test amendment 2.
Do I need to give the client a certificate after every job no matter how little? does anyone actually do this?

Erm..... possibly you need to refer back to your course notes about which certificates and/or reports are applicable for different types of work?

Asking for an exhaustive list suggests you are actually NOT competent to undertake electrical work for monetary gain?

BUT... as a few tips I will say..

Golden rule No1... IF you have changed the characteristics of a circuit, then all BS7671 recommended testing needs to be undertaken and documented to confirm that the alterations are compliant with BS7671 and will "fail-safe"

Golden rule No2.... If the circuit characteristics are unchanged... e.g. like-for-like maintenance replacement. and/or accessory replacement...
The circuit characteristics should still be the same as the initial design & tested values.

Golden rule No3... Competence cannot be gained from passing a few exams.

Golden rule No4... There can be multiple solutions to providing the best electrically safe and compliant circuit alteration. Material costs, Installation timescales, Urgency of work etc.. etc.. can all have an implication on the best solution.

Golden rule No5... A comprehensive understanding of what current wiring regulations require... PLUS, a comprehensive knowledge of previous wiring regulations, is required to establish if an installation is satisfactory or unsatisfactory for compliance with wiring regulation when undertaking EICR's

welcome

re MWCs - when would you issue a cert and when wouldn’t you?

have you opened a business account and got a website ?
Thanks for the reply .
Business insurance in place with trade direct/zurich as is website with ionos. (next week goes online).
Starling business account and xero accounting, invoicing etc.
Just did my first work today, like for like upgrading outdoor lighting. Enjoyed it and put my new telescopic ladders to the test.....

Pretty confident and competant just paperwork etc going to need a bit of sussing out.......and sussing out who is worth listening to on this forum.....;)

Reactions: Kot
Welcome to the forum.

Starting a business is always daunting.

My main advice is don't let your paperwork pile up. Have a dedicated place that all paperwork goes prior to being processed such as a box file or even just an envelope. An hour spent doing your accounts each week means you have most paperwork you need to hand.

There's nothing worse than scrabbling round looking for a receipt that was on the dashboard, or in a box in the van.

Also don't overcomplicate your accounts. To start with all you need is an excel spreadsheet with income and expenditure. It's only when your above a certain threshold that you need complex accounts.

The tax return requires 2 figures. Total income and total expenditure. It works out your profit from them.

As for who to listen to on here, everyone has different experience in a wide range of fields. Don't dismiss anyones replies as they maybe the key piece of information your looking for.

Good luck with the business.

^^ not sure I agree with the sentiment about HMRC in this.

As of April 2024 all SE people will have no option but to comply with Making Tax Digital, which will mean submitting more information 5 times per tax year.

I think you should strongly consider starting off with a business system that is MTD compliant

^^ not sure I agree with the sentiment about HMRC in this.

As of April 2024 all SE people will have no option but to comply with Making Tax Digital, which will mean submitting more information 5 times per tax year.

I think you should strongly consider starting off with a business system that is MTD compliant
Agreed. According to my business mentor, Xero is compliant.

Welcome to the forum.

Starting a business is always daunting.

My main advice is don't let your paperwork pile up. Have a dedicated place that all paperwork goes prior to being processed such as a box file or even just an envelope. An hour spent doing your accounts each week means you have most paperwork you need to hand.

There's nothing worse than scrabbling round looking for a receipt that was on the dashboard, or in a box in the van.

Also don't overcomplicate your accounts. To start with all you need is an excel spreadsheet with income and expenditure. It's only when your above a certain threshold that you need complex accounts.

The tax return requires 2 figures. Total income and total expenditure. It works out your profit from them.

As for who to listen to on here, everyone has different experience in a wide range of fields. Don't dismiss anyones replies as they maybe the key piece of information your looking for.

Good luck with the business.
Thanks for the welcome.
Yes it is certainly daunting starting up any business, even without a looming recession.......
I have built a shared home office which is an advantage in the organisational area.
Keep the advice coming and eventually I could be the one giving it!

i assume xero is like Quickbooks meaning you have a customer database, and you do estimates / quotes / invoices all electronically.

have you decided which certificate software to use ?
I had Peter Wade from Megger come to my house a few months ago, to Demonstrate the bluetooth and certification side of things of the MFT1741+ I have just bought. (the + means it comes with the EV Charge point tester/adapter).
I will be honest, I was quite miffed when he told me that the bluetooth function will not work to auto fill Megger cert suite as there are licensing issues.
Unless anyone knows any different now?

So certsuite is the one im most familiar with.

When I was working for myself I used "EasyCert", I particularly liked the way it would highlight in red if the software thought the readings where incorrect, this was often fat thumbs syndrome.

Erm..... possibly you need to refer back to your course notes about which certificates and/or reports are applicable for different types of work?

Asking for an exhaustive list suggests you are actually NOT competent to undertake electrical work for monetary gain?

BUT... as a few tips I will say..

Golden rule No1... IF you have changed the characteristics of a circuit, then all BS7671 recommended testing needs to be undertaken and documented to confirm that the alterations are compliant with BS7671 and will "fail-safe"

Golden rule No2.... If the circuit characteristics are unchanged... e.g. like-for-like maintenance replacement. and/or accessory replacement...
The circuit characteristics should still be the same as the initial design & tested values.

Golden rule No3... Competence cannot be gained from passing a few exams.

Golden rule No4... There can be multiple solutions to providing the best electrically safe and compliant circuit alteration. Material costs, Installation timescales, Urgency of work etc.. etc.. can all have an implication on the best solution.

Golden rule No5... A comprehensive understanding of what current wiring regulations require... PLUS, a comprehensive knowledge of previous wiring regulations, is required to establish if an installation is satisfactory or unsatisfactory for compliance with wiring regulation when undertaking EICR's
I am still waiting for your exhaustive list. If you are competant enough to provide a useful one!

Right attitude. If you give it out you should expect to take it back. Especially on the alledged, UK's friendliest electrical forum.
My list please!
Blimey, you certainly know how to make an entrance, clearly youre not here to make friends. With attitude like this I think you will have a tough time succeeding in business. This is of course only my personal opinion based on your start here. If you dont like my opinion let me know, I have others!

Good luck

Right attitude. If you give it out you should expect to take it back. Especially on the alledged, UK's friendliest electrical forum.
My list please!
after the very comprehensive reply you have already had from an incredibly knowledgable and experienced electrician? Ingratitude of the highest order I would say. I will suggest again you apologise or you may well find you are left to wallow in your own ignorance. Your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.