Hello From A Chimpchoker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimpchoker

Reaction score
How do folks.

married with a grown up son getting into property developement so need to learn what i can and cant do myself. Actually all I need is a good sparky but I like to learn things so I know how to question a tradesman so I know he or she is good and competent.

Cheers,

Chimpchoker.

Welcome to the forum as a sparks I will say if you find a good one look after him or her and he/she will look after you. Generally recommendation is good and usually works. Good luck with it.

IMHO I'd leave the building structure and infrastructure to the professionals and do the finish yourself,,, reason being that there are loads of regulations that you wouldn't even think about (in all trades)

Get the job done right the first time and in good time so that you can flip or rent out the property as soon as possible

Last edited by a moderator:
How do folks.

married with a grown up son getting into property developement so need to learn what i can and cant do myself. Actually all I need is a good sparky but I like to learn things so I know how to question a tradesman so I know he or she is good and competent.

Cheers,

Chimpchoker.
decorating is fairly harmless....makeing tea, and labouring is the most obvious way of saving money. My suggestion would be not to turn into one of those developer customers who wants to save every 50p they can from the trades, all you actually do is turn yourself into a crap customer. All trades have basic, non technical elements to them, like channelling walls, which form the 'bread and butter' of our earnings. Now it might seem rediculous to pay the same rate for the donkey work as the technical stuff, but what you are actually being charged is a flat rate to cover both elements. If we charged for the legally binding technical work as it's own rate it would have to be around £150 per hour to make it worthwhile, like certain legal professions!!

Thanks for the welcome.

There are certainly a few twats on here that's for sure, present company excluded.

Batty,

As any tradesperson approaches my front door I ask 2 questions.

1 are there any vegitarians ?and

2 who drinks Tea, coffee, juice etc?

Noz spark,

the propeties I am aiming at will be stripped back to bare brick, new electrics, plumbing, kitchens etc so there will be plenty for me to do after the trades have finished.

Binky,

I have no intention what so ever in turning into one of those landlords you mention. My son has been in some of those houses where  the landlord skimps on works and the tennent pays for it. One such property in Gatehead had water running out of a downlighter when it rained. 5 times the roof was repaired before my son asked for my help to get it sorted.

take care

Chimpy.

As someone who mostly works on timber stud and plasterboarded houses (that's the norm up here), then if I had to rewire a house "plastered on the hard" then I would LOVE someone else to do the donkey work and chase the walls for me.  Even better if they did the plastering afterwards as well.

This is what I thought because any dumb monkey hanger can wield a hammer and chisel or even graduate up to an electric chaser leaving the technical work to the sparky but it seems on the other topic i started that is not always the case,lol. Obviously there are those that think all work has to be carried out by the sparkies.

If you want a 50 something wall chasing apprentice  that can ALSO PLASTER  to a high degree Andy I'm not to far away, lol.

I probably can't send pms yet so is monkrey hanger land to far south for you to quote Andy?

Ok Andy,

S tynside is a big area so if you are at the northern end of ST then its 40 - 50 miles each way at least.

Take care and thanks one and all for the advice.

Alan