help!!!! INLINE FAN!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyd

Reaction score
hey guys, got called out to a job last nite to fix a inline fan with built in light which wasnt working, the crack is theres a 2g sw outside the bathroom controlling (spots and fan) and (cabinet) at the switch theyve got a 3core red - perm feed, blue - cabinet switch line - yellow - spots +fan switch line.

basically in the loft this guy has got a new motor for the fan and thats on its just the light which isnt, what transformer do i need? also the motor has the connections L,N1,N2 this is really confusing me someone help!

Transformer will be probably be 20-60va could be 35/50 watt halogen lamp so this transformer will do that. Connections on fan will normally be l1 l2 and n not sure what you mean by changing motor. If you can take a few pics that would help.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

It sounds like a timer fan which will have permanent live, switched live and neutral.

If you don't want to use the timer, just connect the live to both live terminals strapped together.

The transformer usually comes with the shower light kit, so check the packaging and make sure it's not still in the box before buying a new one.

Hi

some fans i connected up recently had the same connections L, N1 and N2

the neutral connectors were high and low speed depending on which one you use.

Do you have the make?

also what i meant by motor is that the fan itself in the ceiling has a L and N connection but the motor has a L N1 N2......

Thank you again your a life saver :) could you recommend a transformer for me also??

Oooh sorry just remebered, there isn't a neutral there! There's a perm feed and 2 switch lives that was my problem...there is a neutral source close by could I just grab one from there is it that easy?

Oooh sorry just remebered, there isn't a neutral there! There's a perm feed and 2 switch lives that was my problem...there is a neutral source close by could I just grab one from there is it that easy?
neutral must only be taken from the same circuit as the live. do not take it from another circuit

Ok not a problem, this may sound stupid but I'm a novice, the transformer for the fan, obv u said use the sw live and neutral and the low voltage side where does that connect to? It isn't sleeved?

That connects to your ELV lamp, the connector should be enclosed, if its just the one lamp then a 60VA Transformer is all you need,

So just tio clarify the switch line and neutral connect in to the tranny and then onto the light.

Then do I loop off the the switch line and the neutral again for the. Motor??

Yup

This will mean the switch will switch on the Fan and light together.