Help needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scouse

Reaction score
Hi guys

Hope you can help.

I have been asked by a builder to go and second fix a job for him as the spark he had im has gone on holiday and left him in the learch.

All it will require is the second fix of switches, lights ETC does not want it powered up or testing as the guy who first fixed it will do all that.

My question is, would this affect the testing

Cheers

Why does he want it second fixed then ???

money from the customer ?

if i was the original spark i would be p*ssed.

would not affect testing needs doing befor testing really

He needs it doing as its starting to hold up the other trades,

I understand it would P*#s the spark off but the buinder did give him a weeks notice that it needed doing and he still went on his hols,

so builder aint very happy bunny with spark

How can it hold up other trades? First fix can, but not second fix.

You could complete a house in every single detail, including plastering and decorating, and leave the final fix of switches, sockets and lights to the very last thing, and it wouldn't hold anybody up.

There's more to this than meets the eye, I smell a rat.

If the original spark had a holiday booked, he wouldn't cancel it for a second fix, so I don't blame the first spark for taking his holiday, and yes he would probably be upset.

if its just fitting accsesories to existing wiring and not energising, then is that a problem

Hi Scouse.

Just give cerification stating exactly the work you have done, i.e. The Second Fix ONLY -With No testing,... make sure you get paid, then leave the rest for the builder and the other Spark to sort out betweem them in terms of Testing - Certification etc

Are they setting you up to certify the job ?

Just agree to second fix it ,as if you worked for the holiday boy, and be paid for only that .

As I have said in other threads , builders are a funny lot, if you had 100 of them ,you could only trust one.

Are they setting you up to certify the job ? Just agree to second fix it ,as if you worked for the holiday boy, and be paid for only that .

As I have said in other threads , builders are a funny lot, if you had 100 of them ,you could only trust one.
No 200 to get a decent one.

Just 2nd fix it Scouse, and get paid, no different to the buider getting you in to paint a load of doors while the painter is on hols.

Holiday boy can return,test it ,lick it and stick it.

I would not like another spark to second fix my work, I would have to recheck every connection and make sure all sleeving was in place, so It would be just as long a job anyway.

i still smell a rat....

needs you to 2nd fix it

as soon as u have gone he may energise it before the spark gets back ?????

Sob stories about 'disappearing' sparks are usually a pretext to something underhand going on. People who work together regularly, usually have some knowledge of each others movements. And holidays are a fave topic on any day of the week.

Perhaps you could find out who the other spark is and give him a ring (hopefully he's still using his mobile wherever he is). Be upfront with him, reassure him you'll do a decent job for when he's back to test. If he's a local chap, maybe it's someone you might meet at wholesalers or around generally. If that's the case better to be on a friendly footing. You never know, one day he might ring you for some help.

Just go in carefully with the scam-o-meter on full alert. If you smell a rat, get out.

Thanks for all the help guys,

On the point of energising it that wont be possible as out of curtasy i am not going to install the DB for that reason.

Thanks for the heads up though

Latest posts