HELP what is wrong with my E7 storage heater???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wikkinade

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on how to figure out what's wrong with my Creda economy 7 storage heater (model 79351/ISR18A) because I have no clue when it comes to electricals! My housemate recently moved out, the heater worked in November but now it won't.

I've tried it on several settings between high and low and it won't work at all. I've checked the mains, all the wires are secure. I've looked at similar threads on here and 'fuse links' are mentioned. Please excuse my ignorance but where are these located? Blushing I couldn't see anything when I checked the wires and unscrewed the switch casing. Other than the two dials there doesn't appear to be anything else on the heater I can physically check?

Does anyone have any advice (needs to be put in simple terms) or a fault finding system I can use to fix this or figure out what is wrong? Any help greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I assume all your other heaters are working, and it is only this one.

Looks like its the fuse link which i think (if i think back) is situ top right hand corner, visable once you take the front cover off. If your unsure get a qualified spark in.

remove cover. its at the top next to the controls. if there isnt melting fuse link, it might be a re-settable trip. look for something with a small button. press it. if it clicks, its re-set.

Just remember that if you do have the fuse link and it's melted then it won't be there any more, you'll just have 2 wires sticking out from the input stat...

If you do need another then you will have to get the exact model number from the plate on the top left, they are different for each different model...

Have you been covering the heater with clothes??? that is a big no no!!

Thanks everyone to your replies!

NozSpark - in reply to you no I haven't covered it. It's my spare room I was letting out and I think they had it on full.

In reply to mcgaw81, Andyc and NozSpark - Thanks to you all, I removed the cover and the fuse hadn't completely melted but one side had become detached from the rest of it. I have the same heater in my kitchen that I don't use so I've replaced the fuse that way whilst I try to order another. Fingers crossed it will work now!

BIG thank yous! :)

Having it on full doesn't usually melt the link...Covering the heater does!!
Thanks, they clearly say don't cover but I can't honestly say whether they did or not. I just noticed both dials were set to the max when I cleared the room out. It deffinitely won't be covered from now on anyway!

Hi, I have the same model and problem. But in my case the Fuse is not melted or detached. What do you advise me to check?

Hi, I have the same model and problem. But in my case the Fuse is not melted or detached. What do you advise me to check?
check resistance accross fuse incase it has melted at the side and appears solid.

failing that, check resistance accross control switch. then heating elements

you have it turned on at night? Know about the economy 7? Has it ever worked for you? Is it wired via a FCU with a neon? Does the neon light?

Are you a spark?

Welcome to the forum :)

check resistance accross fuse incase it has melted at the side and appears solid.failing that, check resistance accross control switch. then heating elements
Ok, I've replaced the fuse/thermal link and it still won't work and it did used to. I've checked the resistance and it is fine. All my other E7 heaters of the same model work.

The control switch appears to be functioning correctly, it highers and lowers the metal plate accordingly. How do I check the heating elements? Do you have any other advice as to why it won't work/what I can do?