Help with network connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROTFWL SL..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/leesturbo/battylan.jpg

you can actually use a second router configured as a switch with some settings changes. alot of people have old routers lying around from when they have changed provider and got a free router
the 2nd diagram is how I have my PC and plasma connected currently as I only installed 1 outlet per room back in '97 when I wired the house for CAT5, any room that needs more than one port now I install an additional 4 port 1Gbit switch

With most off the self switches you don't need set anything, they auto handshake, very simple

Why would you need a patch panel then a switch???Just put all your network cables into the switch and then connect your router to the switch.
Yup no need for a patch panel, wire them into the switch and your modem/router too!

OK, so can I use an old router as a wireless booster on my new system?
no. not as such.

but you can have it as another wireless access point.

lets say you currently have router1 down stairs and you take your laptop upstairs to the furthest point from router1, the signal can be weak and slow your connection (i guess this has happened already and is why you ask)

now if you intall router2 upstairs which will need to be wired to router1!

you will now have a stronger signal. however the laptop will not swap from router 1 to router2 without a brief loss of internet connection circa 20secs.

but it will be automatic.

Latest posts