Help with the minefield that is ECS/CSCS cards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markthespark

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone can give me some advice as to which card to apply for?

I have spent the last three years studying for C&G 2330 Level 2 & 3 and have also got C&G 2382, C&G 2377.

I used to work as an electrician a long time ago but due to personal circumstances had to give that up and move away from the area i was in.

Then i sorted my life out and decided to get some qualifications which i finished last year. Now i am looking for a job but alot of the jobs advertised around here ask for the ECS or CSCS card, i have been on their website and cant make head nor tail of it. I just dont understand which card i should apply for with my qualifications and they ask for NVQ 3 which you cant get unless you are working in the trade.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded.

Cheers

There are some other threads on this if you look Mark but basically with quals. you have which were similar to mine when I applied (17th,Pat test.,Part P couple of little ones) .

When do your application they catergorize you themselves so you will probably be graded as a ;senior graded electrical trainee. I have stayed at this grade even after completing my 2391, they will only take away the trainee part (so the lady on phone told me) when you complete your NVQ.

Hope this long winded reply helps. :)

without the nvq the jib card is out the picture, so just got your CSCS it just a basic safety test to get you on building sites, then you can apply for them jobs.

That's what I thought the cscs cArd is just basic health And safety test that you can't fail as it's common sense. Cheers

Mark

Did my ECS Certification back in November. This is what you want, not the CSCS. I have similar grades as you. L2 & 3 2330, 17th. The JIB told me if I was employed after Level 3 without NVQ then they would issue you with an Electrical Improver - Trainee card.

Still gets you on site & gets you experience to push NVQ & re-apply your grading after further qualies.

For ECS you go to a central point near your area & sit amongst about 40 other lads all doing same test. Think it was 40 Multiple choice questions on common sense H&S. With the 2330 you have the H&S knowledge anyhow, but you can download or send for a book of questions & answers from the JIB when you apply through them to sit the test.

Hope this helps Mate.