hey all, need help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yateszy

Reaction score
I'm 18 and wanting to get into doing electrical work like three phase and installing electrical panels for things like pumps.

I quit 6th form after a year didn't enjoy it, working for a year full time and starting college in Sept. I am down to do the Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, but not sure whether I should do this or the City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate in Electrical Installation (Level 2) instead, both at the same college? I don't know what the differences are so could anyone explain and tell me which one I should do.

All I have at the moment is some good GCSE's.

I'm 18 and wanting to get into doing electrical work like three phase and installing electrical panels for things like pumps.I quit 6th form after a year didn't enjoy it, working for a year full time and starting college in Sept. I am down to do the Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, but not sure whether I should do this or the City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate in Electrical Installation (Level 2) instead, both at the same college? I don't know what the differences are so could anyone explain and tell me which one I should do.

All I have at the moment is some good GCSE's.
Hello Yateszy and welcome :)

I'm not 100% sure but I think Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering has replaced the City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate in Electrical Installation (Level 2&3) and possibly the level 2 NVQ (workshop practical and some theory) as of September.

What I do know is that if someone such as myself had completed the 2330 level 2 last year, then we will be starting the level 3 in September, as long as the college they are attending are running the course, but will be the last to do this particular course.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this will be here soon to either confirm it or shoot me down in flames ROTFWL

HTH

if u wanna be a spark u need ur C&G 2330 L2 and L3 with ur 17th edition.

have a chat with ur tutors as i dont know what ur Btech involves electrically... it all depends on what u want to do...

if u wanna be a spark u need ur C&G 2330 L2 and L3 with ur 17th edition. have a chat with ur tutors as i dont know what ur Btech involves electrically... it all depends on what u want to do...
I hate to be controversial here but oh well, Was speaking to my colleges NVQ guy the other day , if you complete C&G 2330 parts 2 & 3 you DO NOT NEED the 17th Edition course , as you are learning the 17th Edition.

So he says this is a huge misconseption that many company directors get wrong.

Not what we were told by our college , said we still needed the 17th edition. Scaming so n so's .

Not what we were told by our college , said we still needed the 17th edition. Scaming so n so's .
I was told that also, but it turns out I won't have to pay for it as my new employers run the course :Applaud

I would not be happy if I had to pay for the 17th edition after forking out nearly

Hello Yateszy and welcome :) I'm not 100% sure but I think Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering has replaced the City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate in Electrical Installation (Level 2&3) and possibly the level 2 NVQ (workshop practical and some theory) as of September.

What I do know is that if someone such as myself had completed the 2330 level 2 last year, then we will be starting the level 3 in September, as long as the college they are attending are running the course, but will be the last to do this particular course.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this will be here soon to either confirm it or shoot me down in flames ROTFWL

HTH
Anyone confirm this? Sounds good if its true as I wanted to do the BTEC.

It says the units here

I was told that also, but it turns out I won't have to pay for it as my new employers run the course :Applaud I would not be happy if I had to pay for the 17th edition after forking out nearly

I hate to be controversial here but oh well, Was speaking to my colleges NVQ guy the other day , if you complete C&G 2330 parts 2 & 3 you DO NOT NEED the 17th Edition course , as you are learning the 17th Edition. So he says this is a huge misconseption that many company directors get wrong.
I think it may depend WHEN you started the 2330

If you did level 2 on 16th Edition then went over to 17th then maybe the update is required.

If ALL 2330 done with 17th then perhaps update NOT required?

I think it may depend WHEN you started the 2330If you did level 2 on 16th Edition then went over to 17th then maybe the update is required.

If ALL 2330 done with 17th then perhaps update NOT required?
That could be very true Tim of course my discussions where relating to myself .

It would appear that everyone is being told differant things by differant colleges, infact I had a 30 minute phone call today with City & Guilds over the 2330 course and the propsed changes.

I am still none the wiser ! ! ! they did promise to email me some stuff over today with regards to it but as of now I still havent recieved any email. I will phone again tomorrow.

I think the best possible action is to get as many qualifications as possible under your belt, this makes sure you are covered for all possible requirements with a broad range of employers.

After all once the 2330 parts 2 and 3 are out the way then the rest should be alot easier , its also best to do them as soon as possible whilst your brain is still in learning mode IMHO.

If i recieve the promised info I will make avaialbe to anyone requesting it.

Can anyone answer my question, please don't hi-jack the thread by saying something else.

Also should I get an apprenticeship as I'm doing the B-Tec?

go and talk to your college and ask them about the replacement for the 2330 , i dont think you will be able to start it next year unless you already have.

if you complete C&G 2330 parts 2 & 3 you DO NOT NEED the 17th Edition course , as you are learning the 17th Edition.
Absolutely correct. Just as if you had done a technical certificate under the 16th Edition there was no sense in doing the 16th Edition 2381 because you've essentially already done it for your technical certificate.

I've often questioned why people finishing or doing their apprenticeship are taking 2382. Seems wasteful to me.

Just a couple of points from the above posts, BTEC is not replacing the 2330 L2 & L3 the C&G 2357 is replacing them! To complete this, contrary to some posts elsewhere you do not need to be employed or completing an apprentiship, although that would be preferable, but you will need access to practical work to demonstarate practical abilities not just academic achievements.

As far as the 17th edition exam goes, personnally I treat it as a seperate qualification entirely as it checks your ability to find information in the entire regs book and with all due respect to everyone here, the L2 and L3 courses do not cover diversity of installations refered to in the entire regs.

hope this helps

regards

Mark