Hi, what adpator ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrboyo

Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone's well,

I have very very basic electrical knowledge and need some advice regarding using American appliances in the UK. Could someone point me any relevant existing threads please.

Moved from "introduce yourself"

Last edited by a moderator:
My issue is I am looking at an American portable air purifier, Airthereal ADH70, links below, which clearly states in its user manual and via a review on the linked page that this machine has to be plugged into a 120V outlet.

Baring in mind I have very basic knowledge in this field I did some quick googling and came to understand that I would need a step down transformer. So I messaged them on Instagram with some questions including about a transformer I found (linked below) and asked if it would be ok to use with their product.

However in their reply back (attached to this post) they said a transformer wouldn't be necessary and only a 2A USB adapter would be necessary which seems to go against everthing I had previously just learned. Can someone please explain where I went wrong.

https://airthereal.com/products/adh70-air-purifier
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._Purifier_User_Manual_202305.pdf?v=1683863897
https://www.hwaudio.co.uk/Product/M...ltage-converter-240V-120V-45W-651001UK-438268
P.S. I have looked at a wide variety of portable air purifiers and this model has the best CADR. There is a UK base of the company Smart Air which sells the QT3 purifier which I had bought but I found that it broke too easily. If anyone has any other suggestions for portable air purifiers with comparable CADR's, 37 m³/h and over, please share them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_211319_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_211319_Instagram.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It's rated power supply is 5V DC 6 watts.

It might well come with a 120V ac to 5V dc power supply but that would be useless to you, so throw that away and use it with a 240V input power supply.

My issue is I am looking at an American portable air purifier, Airthereal ADH70, links below, which clearly states in its user manual and via a review on the linked page that this machine has to be plugged into a 120V outlet.

Page 3 of the manual clearly states it is a 5V DC power supply...
Not a 120v AC supply.

FORUM ADH70.JPG

Page 3 of the manual clearly states it is a 5V DC power supply...
Not a 120v AC supply.

View attachment 16590
Thank you for your reply, I realise in my first post instead of saying that "I have very basic knowledge in this field" I should have said I have close to zero knowledge i.e. I know basic safety protocol in operating household electrics and that's it.

What confused me was on the company's site it says the purifier has to be plugged into a 120V outlet so as we operate on 240V I concluded I would need a step down transformer. Then I was further confused when I got the company's response saying I didn't need a transformer just a 2A USB charger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_213918_Samsung Notes.png
    Screenshot_20240126_213918_Samsung Notes.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240126_213737_Samsung Internet.png
    Screenshot_20240126_213737_Samsung Internet.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 0
From the manual the cable connecting to the unit itself is a standard USB cable.

Therefore any good quality USB power supply in the UK would work with the unit.

I'd suggest a 20-30w unit that's compatible with most wireless chargers for modern mobile phones.
Thanks for your help, but just to clarify are you saying I don't need a step down transformer and only a 20-30w usb power supply?. Thank you for your time.

Latest posts