HMS Vanguard

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just heard ( on Radio 4 ,Cheltenham, so its not a secret) that the nuclear sub HMS Vanguard carries more destructive power than all the bombs and explosives used by all sides in World War 2 !

How scary is that ! :|

When the nuclear sub's come into southampton they use the so called "Z" berth and all the local school's etc are issued with anti-radiation pills. instill's confidence don't itPray

Yes it certainly does !! They have one sub at sea at all times as our deterent. If the UK is destroyed and we have not retaliated from the main land, the captain has to open a letter from the Prime Minister for his instructions. When a Prime Minister stands down the letter is destroyed unopened. Wonder what Blair's said ? Denis Healy was the standby finger on the button , years ago, addmitted he would not have pressed it in retaliation.

Also at such a time, the sub has to put itself under the control of The US or Australia if the UK is no more.

When the nuclear sub's come into southampton they use the so called "Z" berth and all the local school's etc are issued with anti-radiation pills. instill's confidence don't itPray
I was time served at Rosyth and worked on refitting the SSBN's and SSN's and could tell you some story's that would make you think twice about going within a 100 miles of one of these things with or without weapons on board !!

I was time served at Rosyth and worked on refitting the SSBN's and SSN's and could tell you some story's that would make you think twice about going within a 100 miles of one of these things with or without weapons on board !!
I live in Plymouth where thay re-fit these things. I have friends who have suffered radiation sickness from swimming in the river nearby. Though why they were swimming in the Tamar is a mystery to me :)

Yes it certainly does !! They have one sub at sea at all times as our deterent. If the UK is destroyed and we have not retaliated from the main land, the captain has to open a letter from the Prime Minister for his instructions. When a Prime Minister stands down the letter is destroyed unopened. Wonder what Blair's said ? Denis Healy was the standby finger on the button , years ago, addmitted he would not have pressed it in retaliation. Also at such a time, the sub has to put itself under the control of The US or Australia if the UK is no more.
Can not see it being Australia as they will not allow vessals caring nuclear armaments into their country.

Well good for the Aussies then ! I always thought they were more sensible than us, specially on immigration.

They did mention Oz in the programme, perhaps because its in the Southern hemisphere it may be untouched by a nuclear war in Europe.

As the book/film "On The Beach" by Nevil Shute.

Interesting comment from Ian932 :eek: Frightening :|

Does everyone agree that we should have them as a deterent ? It certainly kept the Argentine Navy in dock ! Hope I'm not getting too poltical here , just trying to be interesting!

Deke

Unfortuantely the detterent we have today keeps us safe,,,,,

in the current climate where our forces are stretched to the limit we need it more than ever

i remember reading an article in a broadsheet newspaper years ago that stated where every nuclear weapon was kept in the uk

muppets

here's a point.....

why is it that Iran wants to produce their own nuclear weapons ????

because the Americans are getting to big for their boots and the Iranians are getting worried as they feel they could be next

now that is scary

I live in Plymouth where thay re-fit these things. I have friends who have suffered radiation sickness from swimming in the river nearby. Though why they were swimming in the Tamar is a mystery to me :)
At Faslane Naval Base they insist that any radiation leak would only travel xxx meters - just so happens xxx meters is to the chain link fence around the base.

Google earth of Rosyth basin 7 subs there for the next 100 years look close you can see the glow :D

Dead SSBN's and SSN's.jpg

I`m scared now...................

I went to Rosyth to the fire-fighting school 3 or 4 times a year for a few years.......

At the same time, we were spending a LOT of time in Plymouth ( & pompey)

:( :( :(

(Admin. Can I have a glow-in the-dark smiliey / saddie)?

Can not see it being Australia as they will not allow vessals caring nuclear armaments into their country.
Correct they have to unload at a naval base on some remote island (wifes uncle works there) prior to entering any other port.

I spent 6 years working at Rolls Royce & Associates in Derby, where they design and build/fuel the nuclear reactor cores for subs.

I've also been to Faslane, Rosyth, Barrow, Dounreay, etc...

I could tell you a few stories - but I've signed the official secrets act - so actually I can't! (Was cleared upto Top Secret Atomic level)

D.

I spent 6 years working at Rolls Royce & Associates in Derby, where they design and build/fuel the nuclear reactor cores for subs.I've also been to Faslane, Rosyth, Barrow, Dounreay, etc...

I could tell you a few stories - but I've signed the official secrets act - so actually I can't! (Was cleared upto Top Secret Atomic kitten level)

D.[/quote

Ah you were in the department that wore the silly headgear :D :D:p

I could tell you a few stories - but I've signed the official secrets act - so actually I can't! (Was cleared upto Top Secret Atomic kitten level)

So now you have told us does that mean we have to kill you;\

I spent 6 years working at Rolls Royce & Associates in Derby, where they design and build/fuel the nuclear reactor cores for subs.I've also been to Faslane, Rosyth, Barrow, Dounreay, etc...

I could tell you a few stories - but I've signed the official secrets act - so actually I can't! (Was cleared upto Top Secret Atomic level)

D.
Ohh it was you that screwed up the design on the trouser leg for the primary coolant pipework then Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley it only took half the fleet out of service before their time:p

Raynesway Nuclear there is a another place that glows in the dark lol

D.
I seem to remember that, by stating that, you`ve actually broken the act, anyway.

I`ve also signed it. I could tell you what I was cleared to, but then you`d be getting a visit from the Don`s "special squad"........They don`t come twice! :eek:

I seem to remember that, by stating that, you`ve actually broken the act, anyway.I`ve also signed it. I could tell you what I was cleared to, but then you`d be getting a visit from the Don`s "special squad"........They don`t come twice! :eek:
They made me sign it when I found out what actually goes into hotdogs.......................................................... ;)

i think they'll be visiting ian first, with a post like that! I was there during that time!

People sign it for all kinds of things nowadays - god knows how many people are on there - although mines a tad out of date now. My sis also signed it - but for a different reason - she has worked on the electrical systems on the royal train. :eek:

I think it was about 5 years ago rra was renamed to rr nuclear

D.

i think they'll be visiting ian first, with a post like that! I was there during that time!People sign it for all kinds of things nowadays - god knows how many people are on there - although mines a tad out of date now. My sis also signed it - but for a different reason - she has worked on the electrical systems on the royal train. :eek:

I think it was about 5 years ago rra was renamed to rr nuclear

D.
CNC are making you a visit soon:_|