Holiday Lodge Inspection (Purpose Built Site)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smilers

Reaction score
Hi guys not posted for a while I hope all is going well for everyone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I looking for guidance on inspection and testing of holiday lodges/caravans. I'm assuming that it would be treated as any other EICR?

what differences am I likely to encounter? 

High Ze & Zs? 

Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

thanks again guys :) 

There is a section in BGB for mobile homes/caravans special location. The supply should be TT so yes expect higher readings.

The holiday lodges are this permanent fixtures or the mobile home type? If mobile home type treat as caravan, if permanent fixture then maybe different?

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC I remember seeing something that said that mobile homes, lodges and the submains supplying them are not caravans and caravan supplies and that they didn't come under any special section of the regs.

Do they have wheels?

are they movable transportable???

e.g. a "static caravan" IIRC technically has wheels and can be moved..

Whereas a portakabin...  log cabin or similar doesn't!

Purpose built holiday lodge may be not much different to a prefabricated building in a school or factory in terms of its electrical supply method and safety considerations...

Fixed or Movable is a pivotal point re certain types of cable selection in an installation..  (e.g. flex / solid core).

Guinness

Hi all,

It's a static wooden lodge, from talking to the owner it was built off site in two sections then bolted together.

I popped in and had a quick look today all the internal wiring appears to be T&E. The system set up is like this:

1) Site supply 30ma RCD to 16a CEE Form. 2) 16a CEE Form wired in 2.5 mm TRS into the cabin to 100a Isolator 3) 100a isolator to  the 25mm tails to CU with a 63a 30ma RCD main switch for the CU.

I hope that makes sense to everyone. 

The cabin is lovely inside! Never been in one before but the rent is 1k a week in peak season!!! Cheap NOT

We have a lot of those up here.

Because they come in sections on a lorry, they are legally classed as "portable buildings"

That makes it easier to get planning permission, and they are exempt from building control, so nobody can tell you what height to put your sockets and nobody can part pee on you.