Hoover Tumble Dryer Condensation Issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooksy72

Reaction score
Hi there,
A tumble tumble dryer I bought to fix was having tripping issues after a few hours use. Found condensation building up in the rear heater housing at the bottom and the air circulation impeller was flicking it up onto the heater unit causing it to trip off the circuit. Stripped down dryer and inspected all air ducts, tested sensors, cleaned condenser everything I could think of plus what’s recommended online. Got it back together and was working a treat, but after a few hours water had built up again in the rear heater housing at the back and at a loss really. Rooms not hot or cold as I know this can effect condenser dryers and it’s ventilated well.
Any advice or something I’ve not thought of?
Many Thanks

Normally the element is at fault with a tripping RCD. After you did it all did you test with wet clothes in it, wonder if the element isn't heating up and the damp is building up because of it.

Normally the element is at fault with a tripping RCD. After you did it all did you test with wet clothes in it, wonder if the element isn't heating up and the damp is building up because of it.
The elements fine it ran and dried clothes great for hours this afternoon. It’s when water builds up in the rear housing enough for the impeller to flick it up onto the element shorting it out. Was thinking the condenser isn’t doing it’s job well enough but it can hardly be faulty it’s got no moving parts etc. Only thing I can think of is drilling a hole in the bottom of the housing to release any water but then that’s not properly fixing the issue.

I take it you have bought it as defective? If not send it back sharpish !

I've not worked on a condensing type, so can only guess. However, there must be a seal or piece of structure faulty or missing which should be directing the damp air into the condenser, but is letting some leak, OR the condenser system has a leak. Can only suggest careful analysis of how it's supposed to work, with close observation of what's actually happening.

Blocked tube from pump to water container!
Ok I’ll give this a check, gotta take the lot apart again. Didn’t even know there was a water pump thought it just condensed down from the condenser unit into the collection tank. Only just started working on appliances you’ll have to excuse my lack of knowledge.

Ok I’ll give this a check, gotta take the lot apart again. Didn’t even know there was a water pump thought it just condensed down from the condenser unit into the collection tank. Only just started working on appliances you’ll have to excuse my lack of knowledge.
Collection tank is at the top where the soap drawer would be in a washing machine. Theres usually a sump at the bottom under the metal condenser, it can get clogged with fluff etc. Check that the tank isnt already full!

This dryer isn’t like that the collection tank is at the bottom and the tank is empty, and when I emptied it last it was only half full.

the heat exchanger is probably clogged. It should pass the hot moist air through one channel and "cold" room air drawn in at the bottom through the other channel. The cold room air should condense the hot moist air removing the moisture.

If you are collecting very little water in the drain tank, then the heat exchanger is probably blocked with fluff or the fan blades that circulate the cold air are broken. I don't know your model but there should be a way to pull the heat exchanger core out to clean it.

Cleaned the condenser yeah checked the sensors as took drum out and everything. As the collection reservoir is on the bottom didn’t think there was any pipes or pipe work.