Hot Cable On Fan Heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revor

Reaction score
I have a 3 kw Honeywell fan heater with a moulded plug. After running for about 15 mins the plug gets hot as does the cable emerging out of it. Measuring with an IR  thermometer it reads 40 C on the plug back and 60 C on the cable outlet. Many years ago I had a similar problem with a conventionally wired plug  on a fan heater and that was down to a loose connection on the neutral caused by the ends of  the wire having  been solder dipped and worked loose by heat and screw pressure no doubt, something which I no longer think is done.

Would it be sensible to rewire the plug or could there be another reason for the plug getting hot e.g poor quality socket?

a 3Kw load plugged in and being run for any length of time is bad news,

recommendations are that any load over 2kw has its own dedicated supply, at 3kw you are pushing the plug to its limit most likely, and the flex is probably just about big enough,

re-wiring the heater with a larger csa flex and fitting a good quality plug may help, but I still fear the socket outlet will end up scorched and heat damaged,

is there a half setting on the heater,? ie, 1.5kw,

try that,

The problem could be due to the socket contacts with the pins of the plug,..

At the end of the day its just the springiness of the socket contacts and the cleanliness of both socket & plug that makes for a good contact...

Poor joint = more heat,

Bigger current = more heat.

Poor joint + higher current = LOTS more heat!!!

Guinness

Thanks for replies there is only the one setting and it is close to the 13 amp load at 230 V. The socket is not branded (on the outside) so may change that to an MK to be sure. I remember a time  when plugs and sockets seemed to be very well matched in that you required little force to insert or remove a plug but nowdays it seems that even thought they are supposedly made to  a standard there seems to be a big variation in compatability between socket and plug. Don't know if others agree.

An update on this changed the socket which originally was a cheap brand with an MK and have no problems throughout the winter. The IR thermometer was showing a reduction of 15deg C after changing the socket. suppose you get what you pay for, or put another way buy cheap, buy twice.