how can i turn this into down lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bit stange really, the wiring from the cu is twin, it changes to and from singles along the way. got 60 m ohms on ir, zs .80 on earth and .44 on conduite
tom1,

IF you have 60 milli ohms on IR then you have a problem!

IF you have 60 Mega ohms on IR then you may not have a problem..

60mohms vs 60Mohms.

SORRY, but, there is a significant difference here.

Which is it to be?

:coat

Just to Clarify. Have you a seperately run cpc within the conduit or are you picking one up directly from the conduit box ?
there is cpc with in the conduite but it does not go back to the cu, that has been done in twin

Would be most concerned about Insulation Resistance. The only places I've come across with conduit have always been 60s/70s MOD flats and the like, non of which seem to have been installed well initially. But just cos its old doesn't mean it isn't usable. Sounds like you've had a partial re-wire, which is also not unusual
looks that way, i wondered if it had been rewired and they pulled new singles through the conduit

tom1,IF you have 60 milli ohms on IR then you have a problem!

IF you have 60 Mega ohms on IR then you may not have a problem..

60mohms vs 60Mohms.

SORRY, but, there is a significant difference here.

Which is it to be?

mega ohms mate

:coat

60m vs 60M. ?

Must be 60 M ohms cos I dont think his IR tester would measure down as low as 60 milli ohms on the IR setting ?:|

60m vs 60M. ?Must be 60 M ohms cos I dont think his IR tester would measure down as low as 60 milli ohms on the IR setting ?:|
60 mega ohms mate,

60m vs 60M. ?Must be 60 M ohms cos I dont think his IR tester would measure down as low as 60 milli ohms on the IR setting ?:|
i think the lowest ir i have got apart from 0 when a cable was screwed through was 0.06

there is cpc with in the conduite but it does not go back to the cu, that has been done in twin

I think I would bond the seperate cpc to the conduit box then bring a cpc off from the same point to your new lights position, in effect utilising both earth paths. BTW all your readings appear acceptable [i assume 5A/6A protective device]

Thats good then So where does the CPC in the conduit go back to?
not 100% sure, goes to the switch.

it links to my other thread about changing the cu with conduit

what i think is they have come out of the cu in twin, and then a certain points used singles in the existing conduit

i think the lowest ir i have got apart from 0 when a cable was screwed through was 0.06

Exactly my point Tom.

Which is 60,000 ohms cos we are describing Insulation Resistance not continuity.

there is cpc with in the conduite but it does not go back to the cu, that has been done in twin I think I would bond the seperate cpc to the conduit box then bring a cpc off from the same point to your new lights position, in effect utilising both earth paths. BTW all your readings appear acceptable [i assume 5A/6A protective device]
5 amp plug in mcb, well below the zs limit,

i did not bond it to the conduit box continuity between the two was 0.14 ohms, the only place to bond would have been the behined the screw securing it to the nogin, but can you bond to that.

you will have to forgive me i have little experiance with metal conduit

Tom when I advised to Bond the seperate cpc to the conduit box the phrase bond was meant in terms of simply joining them together in order to beef up the reliability of the Earth path back to the C.U.

Normally [but not in every case] you will find a 4mm threaded lug within the conduit box for connecting cpcs to via use of a short 4mm screw and eylet crimped lug.

Sounds as if your circuit is ok and as you have a good cpc then no need to bond to conduit box but no harm in it if you do, crimp a lug onto cpc and fix under one of the lid screws.

So what are you planning to use to come of the conduit box?

If it sits below the plaster board level then you could come out with twin and earth, crimp joint in the Box and lid it.

Do you have depth of ceiling space for downlights? you need 4" or so.

Sounds as if your circuit is ok and as you have a good cpc then no need to bond to conduit box but no harm in it if you do, crimp a lug onto cpc and fix under one of the lid screws.So what are you planning to use to come of the conduit box?

If it sits below the plaster board level then you could come out with twin and earth, crimp joint in the Box and lid it.

Do you have depth of ceiling space for downlights? you need 4" or so.
got 120mm after its been over boarded down lights are about bit tight but it has enough clearance,

used wago to twin and earth,

brought it out of a plastic blank plate and cabled tied it ( is that ok?)

Ah ,got you now Tom. In your OP you mentioned the terms 1-way and 2-way. do I take it you where referring to the number of outlets on the conduit box, and therefore posing the question of how to bring out your extended supply cable ?

The method you have suggested is probably o.k. if the box is above the ceiling level ,however the best method would have been to replace the conduit box with a 2-way [or through box[, then bring your twin & earth into it via a T& E stuffing gland which has a cord type screwed clamp on one end and a male thread on the end intended for the conduit box.

Ah ,got you now Tom. In your OP you mentioned the terms 1-way and 2-way. do I take it you where referring to the number of outlets on the conduit box, and therefore posing the question of how to bring out your extended supply cable ?The method you have suggested is probably o.k. if the box is above the ceiling level ,however the best method would have been to replace the conduit box with a 2-way [or through box[, then bring your twin & earth into it via a T& E stuffing gland which has a cord type screwed clamp on one end and a male thread on the end intended for the conduit box.
yer could not get the box to twist,

that sound ideal if i get the same prob again

One word of warning though Tom. any conduit boxes pre about the early 70s will more than likely have an imperial thread i.e. three quarter of an inch instead of the now standard 20mm.. Adaptors are available but it all makes for a further problem especially if time is a factor.....lid screws would also be 2Ba imperial as opposed to modern standard 4mm

Latest posts