How long do 2D lamps last

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently had call backs to 3 different jobs & all of them were 'expired' 28w, 2D, 4 pin lamps. A total of 9 lamps. The oldest was 5 months and shortest time was 2 months. All the lamps were as supplied with the fittings , some maintained emg and some just bulkheads. All were fitted in stairwells of flats and controlled by pir's or timers. They all stay on at least 15 min. There were various makes. Any one else had problems ?

yes 4 gone down in as many months.....

not something i can charge back either

I have recently had call backs to 3 different jobs & all of them were 'expired' 28w, 2D, 4 pin lamps. A total of 9 lamps. The oldest was 5 months and shortest time was 2 months. All the lamps were as supplied with the fittings , some maintained emg and some just bulkheads. All were fitted in stairwells of flats and controlled by pir's or timers. They all stay on at least 15 min. There were various makes. Any one else had problems ?

The PIRs may be rated for 2D fittings,,, but were the 2D fittings rated for PIRs??? ;)
"The pir's were rated for these types of lamps & the fittings instructions say to leave on for at least 15min . We have many other similar jobs done with no problems"

I should have said, The fittings instructions say to leave on for at least 15min if using any type of timer control.

I think cheap Chinese tat is what you usually call it! good quality lamps seem as rare as Unicorns nowadays.

Doc H.

I have inherited the maintenance on 3 blocks of flats. all have 2 lights on each corridor [8 lights total]. One PIR per floor switches all 8 lights on. The lights are all M3s with the PIR operating the switched live. Over the past 18 months every fitting in one of the blocks has burnt out, second block is going the same way! Strangely when the lamps are replaced the 'curved' parts of the 2D [28W] lamps have discoloured...yet the straight bits are o..k.

Contacted manufacturer and they said [on phone] that this type of fitting should not be used with PIRs. Thought I would get it in an e mail from them as well, so email arrived; tech dept said PIRs were fine with them! so that has cleared that one up then ... :coat

I had a very simliar problem with ASD 2D lamps a few years ago with timers. Wouldn't happen to be local or ex-local authority property would it?

The lamps were all lasting for a variety of time lengths and a frequent change by the LA contractor @

Like Steps said, ive had a couple of dodgy batches.

It does seem strange that sometimes a 2D lamp lasts years and another will last a couple of months.

Always found that those that are switched more often seem to go quicker

The communal lighting where I live is on 24/7 and I dont recall any 2D lamp failing.

GS

Like Steps said, ive had a couple of dodgy batches.It does seem strange that sometimes a 2D lamp lasts years and another will last a couple of months.

Always found that those that are switched more often seem to go quicker

The communal lighting where I live is on 24/7 and I dont recall any 2D lamp failing.

GS
sheltered accommodation.?

I have been told that they don't last very long if PIR switched
ive had a load go falult while switched by pir's (the emergency one ones went first not sure why maybe heat) shortest was 2 lamps out of about 12 went on jsy two weeks (i dated all the lamps), 2ds are best left on 24/7 or photocell op

All Compact Fluorescents have a shorter service life if the on/off cycle is high...

Latest posts