I find this kind of stuff nonsense to be honest

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Tony, can't seem to delete your quote using my phone. Driving me mad. There should be a cancel button.

This is Rob speaking.

The gas regs are statute law. BS 7671 is guidance. The 10 mm is mentioned in the acops to the gas regs, so not binding if you will excuse the pun.

I find it interesting that it mentions a spark igniting the gas. This can only happen with a gas + air (O2) mixture. Methane is not igniteable. There would have to be a gas leak for it to be a danger.

So the gas regs supersede BS7671 as they are law and 7671 is not. So putting anything less than a 10mm means you are breaking the law?  Correct?

So the gas regs supersede BS7671 as they are law and 7671 is not. So putting anything less than a 10mm means you are breaking the law?  Correct?
No it clearly states that bonding should be applied as per BS7671. If you read Robs post properly you will see that he mentions acops, this is self explanatory really when defining what is and what is not law.

No the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations are statute law.

One has to be careful with the use "regulations" & I admit that I have done just that I think earlier.

My quotes are from the British Standard, NOT the Gas Safety (I&U) Regs.

BS6891 is entitled: "Specification for the installation and maintenance of low pressure gas installation pipework of up to 35 mm (R11⁄4) on premises".

It is NOT statute law, so it would have to fend for status along with BS7671.

It states:

Compliance with this British Standard cannot confer immunity from legal obligations.
Attention is drawn to the following statutory regulations:
• The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 [1];
• The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) (Northern Ireland) Regulations 2004 [2];
• The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994, as amended and applied by the Gas Safety (Application) (Isle of Man) Order 1996 [3];
• The Health and Safety (Gas) (Guernsey) Ordinance 2006 [4];
• The Building Regulations 2010 (England and Wales), as amended [5];
• The Building Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 [6];
• The Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004, as amended [7];
• The Gas Safety (Management) Regulations 1996 [8];
• The Gas Safety (Management) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1997 [9].

It also states:

1 Scope
This British Standard specifies the design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of gas installation pipework carrying 2nd and 3rd family gas of up to 35 mm (R 11⁄4) on premises, including residential park homes (2nd and 3rd family gas) and caravan holiday homes (2nd family gas) (see Table 1 and examples in Figure 1 to Figure 3; see also Figure 4).