I had the misfortune to take the cover off this CU today ......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I know a chap who doesn’t do house bashing and that’s because he’s not qualified or trained but he does do commercial 😉

Well, I know a chap who doesn’t do house bashing and that’s because he’s not qualified or trained but he does do commercial 😉
Happened a lot years ago on industrial sites and some NHS hospitals where the experienced electricians mate was made up to a spark with little or no training other than lugging a toolbox around following a spark and picking up what they could on the job

Care to explain that? 😜
well any one can do house bashing, builders, kitchen fitters, Plummers, house owners, and some times even electricians, but show them a 3 phase supply , or a control panel they would run a mile,
Happened a lot years ago on industrial sites and some NHS hospitals where the experienced electricians mate was made up to a spark with little or no training other than lugging a toolbox around following a spark and picking up what they could on the job

yes this did happen, I think it was back in the 1970's, some thing to do with the JIB and a pay rise ( I think it was 2 shillings and 8 pence)

well any one can do house bashing, builders, kitchen fitters, Plummers, house owners, and some times even electricians, but show them a 3 phase supply , or a control panel they would run a mile,
Not quite true, it's only a matter of separating the three phase's into three separate single phase supplies for a domestic installation, I used to do this in France for a lot of three phase supplies in rural house's which have three phase.

Not quite true, it's only a matter of separating the three phase's into three separate single phase supplies for a domestic installation, I used to do this in France for a lot of three phase supplies in rural house's which have three phase.
Sorry Michael John, I am only pulling your leg, I am sure that there are lots of good electricians out there , who are more than capable , and are good at what they do,

I don't think you can do the same in the UK, you need a single point of isolation , don't you?
You get that with the three phase S type RCD up front from the supplier.

Last edited:
yes this did happen, I think it was back in the 1970's, some thing to do with the JIB and a pay rise ( I think it was 2 shillings and 8 pence)
Was still happening upto the mid 80's can't recall any mates getting made upto to electrician after that

however there is nothing in BS7671 that says you can't have more than 1 installation per building
good point ,what would you count as an installation? is that for each electrical meter, or each incoming fuse? I suppose its like a tower block with busbars feeding each flat or anywhere with bus bar supplying outgoing supply's, but even then the busbar would have a main switch fuse (or fused switch) feeding it,

Was still happening upto the mid 80's can't recall any mates getting made upto to electrician after that
when I was working on the refit of the Blackwall Tunnel, back in the early 90's there were two mates there that were made up to sparks on that job, (they got JIB cards)

Latest posts