I HATE electronic handbrakes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove a renault captur to Dundee a few months ago for a wedding. I thought there was something wrong as it kept stalling. Then I realised it restarted when you put your foot on the clutch..... The minute savings in fuel will be way outweighed by strain on batteries, starters etc I reckon.

Rev,

Not for the first owner of the vehicle and this is the only target market for the OEM, subsequent owners are only target, if they buy "approved used" thus the OEM cares not about the full vehicle life, only the time that the vehicle is a potential revenue generator for itself & its dealer network.

Learn to live with it, because this is the new generation.

This is the way it will be shortly, if you can't afford to pay huge repair bills then you'll have to take the hit on scraping vehicles for simple faults, which if they were not faulty would be worth serious money.

This is the way the industry is going.

It is trying to move to a throw away recycling model.

The vehicle is bought or leased for perhaps up to 5 years then scrapped off, literally, and replaced with new, that way the industry is self-perpetuating, and they "meet" their green credentials because the vehicles are "recycled".

Rubbish, nonsense, yes.

About to plant itself on your door step, like it or not, bloody believe it.

I am now going to stop before this moves to a political parallel.

you are right I fear.  I looked at leasing a new yeti. £2100 deposit and £89/m for 2 years. On the face of it seems like a good deal. However, 2 years later and surcharges for exceeding 8K a year and then you have to find another deposit and start again. Not for me. 

Yes get everyone into new 'green' cars and waste perfectly good ones. How much greenhouse gas is produced making a new car?

My car has an electronic handbrake. Have you recently adjusted it? Much like with conventional handbrakes the components wear and stretch so they need adjusting occasionally to work properly.

If not that is the very first thing to do.

Mine (Landrover Discovery 3) has a conventional arrangement under the drum. There is still a spiky nut and a hex headed bolt that adjust the tension applied. On my car it's a case of tighten up to a specific torque and then back off a number of clicks. I take the disc off and clean up and lube all moving parts and reassemble with copper grease on contact parts.

This is the one vehicle I can do all the servicing on myself.

It will probably outlast all the modern rubbish being made now.  It certainly won't be scrapped due to an issue with the electronics.

fortrose_13_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the way you've left the authentic dents in the panel! 

Or is that because your afraid of the rust that may be lurking underneath? 

Or is that picture from pre purchase, auction or show? 

Canoeboy said:
And there was me thinking you drove a Massey Ferguson.........

View attachment 6669
That's NOT a Massey Ferguson Btw, 

This is the one vehicle I can do all the servicing on myself.

It will probably outlast all the modern rubbish being made now.  It certainly won't be scrapped due to an issue with the electronics.

View attachment 6670
Is that actually the one you have Dave,? 

It's looking good if it is, :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine (Landrover Discovery 3) has a conventional arrangement under the drum. There is still a spiky nut and a hex headed bolt that adjust the tension applied. On my car it's a case of tighten up to a specific torque and then back off a number of clicks. I take the disc off and clean up and lube all moving parts and reassemble with copper grease on contact parts.
I'm not sure but...

My Dad has a disco 3 and I seem to recall a switch or sensor for the E brake went and it was on top of the gearbox so the job was gear box out to replace a £9 switch I could be wrong though.

Yes that's my Landrover. Taken a couple of years ago when I took it to the local classic car show.

It looks better in a photo ahan it does in the flesh. If I was serious about it being "restored" I would re paint it, as the paintwork is pretty shabby. but it's all aluminium panels so rust is not an isse even if all the paint falls off.

the dents in the panels are just to keep it authentic.  It also "leaks oil from all the correct places"

I'm not sure but...

My Dad has a disco 3 and I seem to recall a switch or sensor for the E brake went and it was on top of the gearbox so the job was gear box out to replace a £9 switch I could be wrong though.

probably easier to cut a hole in the floor and replace it from there then weld it back in

Can I ask,

What is the benefit of an electronic handbrake,?

If it was like a lorry (as Andy points out) then I could understand it, 

As it stands, it's just yet another thing waiting to go wrong with no easy fix.

It's not as if you can tie a knot in the cable for an emergency fix when it breaks, 

Yes that's my Landrover. Taken a couple of years ago when I took it to the local classic car show.

It looks better in a photo ahan it does in the flesh. If I was serious about it being "restored" I would re paint it, as the paintwork is pretty shabby. but it's all aluminium panels so rust is not an isse even if all the paint falls off.

the dents in the panels are just to keep it authentic.  It also "leaks oil from all the correct places"

I like it,

I'm not one for these 'concours' restorations, it was built as a workhorse, that's how it should be,

I'm really impressed, I'd love one of those, :)

To be honest both a have faults and both have perks. It is a handbrake people. Just a handbrake. 

yes, just a handbrake, but new actuator could cost £500 or more. Can't see any component of a conventional handbrake costing anything close.

True. But an electronic handbrake will never snap while parked on a hill and allow your vehicle to roll down the hill and smash into another vehicle. 

Like I said. Both have pros and cons. 

Latest posts