I Need Desperate For Help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a load of junk to me... Why do the tails from the meter not feed the CU directly and then all that mess in the wiska box could be slung away, together with the ancient henleys in bottom left..

john

A correctly tested installation will not have unexpected tripping issues. Sounds like you have a shared neutral problem at a guess. Are you due to receive correct certification for this work?

Doc H

I do hope you can all understand, as I said at the start being a 70 years young female, you can all understand by now I am really comfused, I know he has still to finish it once he finds what's tripping it, I will ask about the MET ? Thank you

Every thing worked good, he said new fuse boxes were more sensitive and this id why it was tripping, always had lots of wires, do have electric shower.

I really think that those additional tails are an old Economy 7 (or similar) supply - these tend to power night storage heaters

There even seems to be a secondary suppliers fuse if you look carefully

When we moved in the house did have night storage heaters they were removed when we got gas central heating,

Not sure what secondary fuse looks like, but is this good or bad?

Neither good nor bad, but it does help to explain what your "electrician" removed.. and if he did your supplier will not be happy....I would guess that he removed a meter and possibly a mechanical time clock.

When you had the night storage heaters removed and the gas central heating put in, did you tell your supplier that you wanted to go onto a standard rate supply? Because if you didn't then you will be paying the more expensive day time tarrif rate

The central heating was put in in 1993/94 ish had both Elec & BG, every thing now with BG has been for years on cheapest tariff,

any better?

as for the 'off peak', im not so sure. i can see a second fuse, but following the cables they appear to go down then through the wall. is there another property on the other side? that could well be the supply to there

the job still looks rough as hell though. looks like one of r.bs jobs

Hi, I am letting you talk to each other as I don't know what you are talking about, but if I do know a answer I will post ( but watching most posts) There is a house on both sides ( as the house is Mid terraced one) as far as I know a few years ago two extra sockets were added in the hall just outside the cuboard and this could be them I just don't know!

It looks like a load of rubbish to me to be honest...

1, Why the little junction box to the left with all the tape?? Why not feed them cables from the CU??

2, Why do the meter tails go from the meter to them henleys, and then back to the CU?? Why not stick then straight in the CU?

3, I have never seen a "split supply" like that... The ones i have seen have a proper service cable leading back out the BOTTOM of the cutout to the place next door, no way would they just use a pair of tails. Looks to me like an unmetered supply going off to next door.

Hi Woodbine,,

Can you tell us what is on the opposite side of that wall?? Is it still in your house, or is the other side of that wall the house next door???

john...

Hi John, on the other side is another house, since we moved in there has been 4 or 5 different family's stayed there, I just don't know about the power.

Hi all,

Have a read of Woodbines post above and look at the last photo.... Why is there a pair of unsheathed tails going from Woodbines Cutout, through the wall, and into to the house next door??? cos i can tell you, NO WAY is that a "split supply" they just do not do it like that...

You are all vastly more experienced than me....What would you all do??????

Myself, i would be on the phone to the DNO.... I am pretty sure what is happening here, what you all think....

Woodbine, do not worry, you will not be in trouble, but i think the people next door will... How long have you lived there???

john...

Hi John we have lived here since 1976, as I said next door there has been four different families any one single female, so in total it has been sold 4 times since we moved in, so this can't be so, can it ?