I'll put my hand up ........ and ask the question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So lock down for England from Thursday - what is the guidance for us SE sparks? 

Do we have to cancel all our planned work in homes? offices? shops ? etc

Will SEISS be paid again?

🙄

It does not affect us up here, but my understanding is you can carry on.

"You can go to work if you are not able to work from home" covers it.

Whether the customer wants you in their home is another matter.  I still am not getting anything other than minor repairs inside occupied houses, people just don't want you.

Last I heard is SEISS is carrying on for another 2 rounds, the next one will be available to claim very soon, but this time only 20% of your average wage.  Of course that might change again, remember Furlough was due to end today but has been extended another month.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guidance hasn't change any different from the first lockdown..

i.e.

If possible work from home.

If you can't work from home adopt suitable social distancing, PPE, hand washing etc..

So far self employed electricians/plumbers etc have never actually been told to stop working completely..

Not sure if this guidance page has been updated yet for the latest announcement...  

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/homes

But as far as I know providing you don't have any symptoms..

and or not isolating due to others in your household having any symptoms..

Then its just get on with whatever you can..

and keep your common sense and health & safety good practice hat on!

Throughout the whole of the first lockdown don't think I knew of any trade counters been told to close..?

Just a few opening hours & some operating procedures were changed..

But you could still go out and collect materials to do customers jobs.

Here's the Gov general advice for 5 Nov:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae#businesses-and-venues

Guinness   

Last edited by a moderator:
The guidance hasn't change any different from the first lockdown..

i.e.

If possible work from home.

If you can't work from home adopt suitable social distancing, PPE, hand washing etc..

So far self employed electricians/plumbers etc have never actually been told to stop working completely..

Not sure if this guidance page has been updated yet for the latest announcement...  

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/homes

But as far as I know providing you don't have any symptoms..

and or not isolating due to others in your household having any symptoms..

Then its just get on with whatever you can..

and keep your common sense and health & safety good practice hat on!

Throughout the whole of the first lockdown don't think I knew of any trade counters been told to close..?

Just a few opening hours & some operating procedures were changed..

But you could still go out and collect materials to do customers jobs.

Here's the Gov general advice for 5 Nov:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae#businesses-and-venues

Guinness   
The only "trade" told to stop were hairdressers 

Everyone else was business as usual 

Last time a lot of wholesalers did close, or had silly things like phone your order, turn up at an alloted time and your order will be waiting outside by the back door.

A lot of the online sellers like Toolstation and CPC increased the order threshold for free postage.

There were a LOT of stock issues, items out of stock etc.

And just think yourself lucky you are not a builder, joiner or plasterer, a LOT of building materials are still in short supply.  I waited months to get timber to build my door frames, only just completed, and Jewsons held a lot of my building materials hostage for 12 weeks as they closed the day before the scheduled delivery date and would not let me go and collect on their last day.

And just think yourself lucky you are not a builder, joiner or plasterer, a LOT of building materials are still in short supply.  I waited months to get timber to build my door frames, only just completed, and Jewsons held a lot of my building materials hostage for 12 weeks as they closed the day before the scheduled delivery date and would not let me go and collect on their last day.

thats one of my jobs tomorrow, doing some work at my unit, ill be ordering more materials whilst they are still open

Last time a lot of wholesalers did close,

There were a LOT of stock issues, items out of stock etc.

Most wholesalers round here didn't close...

But did insist upon click & collect ordering...

(which tbh, didn't bother me as 99% of the time I've been using a click & collect order service for years now..

as I dislike wasting time waiting to either see if something is in stock or for the order to be processed.)

Stock levels was, and still is, an issue...

often having to ring or google multiple places to double check even on some basic things..

Printer ink is another thing that took a bashing with every man and his brother working from home!!

It's not really a lockdown this one. It's a closure of retail/entertainment. 

None of my jobs booked in this month have cancelled, the first lockdown I didn't do a day for 3 months. There are a lot of businesses local to me that closed in the first lockdown that have publicised that they'll be remaining open throughout this lockdown.