Illuminated bathroom mirror

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felix 123

Reaction score
Hello !  I have connected cable to the back of the socket and connected this cable to another cable what comes from bathroom mirror . I have connected these two cables together using junction box , but when i turn the main switch on it trips the fuse ( upstairs socket ) out from the rcd box . What i have done wrong ?

Cable is brand new and mirror works cause i have checked it before when i connected mirror cable to the back of the socket , but now when mirror is connected true junction box its popping fuse out ....

Colors are fine , blue to blue , brown to red and earth to earth . I just wonder why it works when i connect straight to the socket but thrue junction box it pops fuse out

Sorry mate i got u confused , right i have black , red and earth at the back of the socket so i connected cable from junction box to the socket like brown to red , blue to black and eart to earth

Do you have multi stranded flex?

There is a chance a single small strand is touching 2 of the terminals together.

I can't understand why you are connecting a mirror straight into a socket? Do you mean a 13A plug?

I just doing wiring from bedroom socket till mirror because I cant get electricity from somehere else,

but  when mirror is connected true junction box its popping fuse out ....

... popping fuse out from downstairs electricity box

To clarify....exactly what is tripping/popping when you turn on the power? Is it the RCD, an MCB or a fuse?

I guess  that when you PLUG the mirror into the socket it works fine ?  

When you connect the mirror to the back of the socket ............matching all the right colours....it trips out  ?  Or blows a fuse ?  :C

If colours are correct then it should work ...however you may have trapped a wire when replacing the socket .

AND you should be fitting a spur unit by that socket with a 3A fuse in it for the mirror .   As an RCD is tripping I presume it is protected by said RCD? 

Make sure all colours match ...make sure no cable is trapped by socket or mirror .... check that junction box  and get back to us. 

As you are not in the trade  could you not plug the mirror into the socket ?   Not pretty but at least you'll have  3a protection  instead of a 32A breaker .  

You don't need separate wire from electricity box.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I just doing wiring from bedroom socket till mirror because I cant get electricity from somehere else,

but  when mirror is connected true junction box its popping fuse out ....

... popping fuse out from downstairs electricity box

typical DIYer. hopefully you have insurance and are not really bothered about potentially killing your family