In loft contactor for shower

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffRC

Reaction score
I have a 10.8kw shower with a 50Amp ceiling switch which is bulky and unsightly is there any way i can fit a 50/60amp contactor in the loft enabling me to have a a smaller switch in the ceiling 

Is there an actual requirement to fit a ceiling (or similar) switch, bearing in mind that a 60898 MCB is a qualifying isolation device?

Thought of that binky but there is a joist right above switch position 

And for you Lusk the answer is I don't know but don't want power onto the shower all the time

Is there an actual requirement to fit a ceiling (or similar) switch, bearing in mind that a 60898 MCB is a qualifying isolation device?
This would be mostly down to the manufactures instructions, which for a long time have generally said a double pole isolating switch with contact gaps min 3.0mm separation, or similar wording, must be installed. a 60898 would not provide this. 

Doc H

Pick any make or model you like do a quick search for installation instructions see what they say. e.g. Mira Sport 9.0kw give us. http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/pdf/1175283_w2_d_mira_sport_iug.pdf  Note the wording of bullet point 6 under the section Electrical on page 2 which states local isolation must be provided. Whereas bullet point 7. says a 30ma RCD is only recommended.  The small drawing clearly shows a local isolation point separate from the CU.

Doc H.

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/content/shower-isolation

if shower was in a room next to cupboard with CU in the you may be right Lurch. However I wouldn't be happy with Neutral still connected whilst I changed a shower, Neuatral being considered a 'live' conductor or Line as they like to call it these days, hence on the cert I am currently vey bored writing, we have a box for line/line insulation test result.

I also once condemmed a shower isolator for being half way down the stairs, reachable by ladder - about as much use as a chocolate teapot

Last edited by a moderator:
Safe isolation does not require all line conductors to be isolated. Only that no voltage is present across all line conductors and earth. 

it shouldn't happen but neutral, in a special location, with copper pipes - possible belt? Assuming shower isn't on RCD.

Perhaps we should be like the yanks and refer to "hot" conductors.

Now, would neutrral be considered "hot"?

So if we are all afraid of neutral, becaise it's a "live" conductor, do you all turn off the WHOLE house just to change a broken socket front, because isolating the live to the socket circuit is not good enough as the "live" neutral is still conencted.

neutral is a 'live' conductor because it carries power in normal use...

but the fact that shorting neutral to earth usually trips an RCD is a pretty good indicator that there is a voltage difference (very small) between it and earth, even when line is switched off...

personally, i generally isolate at the MCB & if its dead, carry on. if the neutral and earth touch and trip RCD, then leave it til im done. not that im paranoid, but after pulling the wires apart, i usually check again, more so on the neutral on lighting circuits...

I f just changing a socket, I normally put the neutrals in first. Any way we digress from the post. Just trying to think if building regs require an isolator for the shower, but I haven't got my books with me.

Latest posts