Inspection And Testing Of In-Service Electricial Equipment.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmark

Reaction score
I have seen a few comments by HSE that we are going OTT with PAT testing and 12 months tickets on all items and testing new items is not required.

Considering we are only really interested in safety I do sometimes wonder why we do so many tests? Does it really matter if it draws 1kW, 2kW or 3kW?

Where I started really to think about what really needed testing was with a cooker. Now to get access to connections on cooker means pulling it out. On the isolator means finding where it is supplied from to isolate elsewhere as the HSE says we must do. This means in real terms we often ignore them not testing them at all. Clearly this is not what we should do.

However if we only checked the earth bond with no other checks at all then it's extremely unlikely there would be any fault which could cause injury.

So question is where there is no plug on the end of an appliance would visible an earth bond only test satisfy the HSE as to ensuring the appliance would present no danger to the user?

Eric

I always understood PA testing was PORTABLE appliance testing, i.e anything with a plug on it.

The frequency of tests should reflect the use, i.e portable tools on a building site need testing a lot more frequently than the bedside table lights in a B&B bedroom.

I was surprised when I was called to do an EICR at our village hall. It was only 3 years since I last did it, and I didn't find a single fault or a single alteration, but apparently that's a requirement to have a public entertainment licence these days that it's tested every 3 years.

Sometimes what you are asked to test, and the frequency of tests, seems completely out of touch with real life.

To your original question, I wouldn't test a cooker as part of a PA testing routine, but probably would when doing an EICR

The frequency of testing has to be an individually agreed thing between client ad the persons undertaking the testing. Just because two identical cookers are installed they may both have two different load and usage cycles. Consider one in a rented 1 bedroom flat, landlord may have it checked every two or three years and be quite safe. Another identical cook in a college cooking classroom may need testing multiple times per year if the client considers the usage of the operators warrants it. As with an industrial vacuum cleaner kept at an office, would need less testing than the identical model loaned out from a hire shop. Usage and clients requirements must be key factors in any PAT schedule.

Doc H.

Yes I would agree the time scale reflects use. It seems from the HSE publications as the tester it's not up to me to fix the time but up to the manager. And I suppose if the manager has passed the exam that's correct. However in the main their name may be on the paperwork but they rely on us the tester to fix the time.

However as far as I am aware on a PIR, or as it is now called an EICR, we, as the "I" says, test the installation, not the appliances. So the immersion heater, cooker, hob, oven, washing machine, fridge, freezer, tumble drier, and dish washer are all “In-service electrical equipment” and so should be tested by the person engaged to test appliances not the installation. The hardest I found was the humble hand drier.

So to not test the cooker when doing what is loosely called PAT testing would likely mean it’s not tested. I seem to remember to be portable it has to be not hand held that’s a category of its own and less than 18kg or has wheels, designed to be easily be moved from one place to another.

This would mean electric drills are not portable appliances as they are classed hand held and neither is a refrigerator or washing machine they are Stationary equipment or appliances also Information technology equipment (business equipment) is a category of its own as are Extension leads so if were to restrict ourselves to testing what comes under the heading of portable appliance we would not test that much.

So clearly the word portable is just an expression and we should test all “In-service electrical equipment” and yes in some cases this means 2 days for 2 electricians to test one item. i.e. A batching plant which since it was on wheels is portable even if it did take 22 wagons to move it.

So the original question stands. How far do we really need to go when testing something like a cooker? To me a visual followed by an earth bond test is enough to show it presents no danger to the user.

"PAT" testing is being "evolved" to cover such eventualities - the hotel we do a lot of stuff for recently had their PAT test company in, to test all the FIXED appliances.

I was surprised when I was called to do an EICR at our village hall. It was only 3 years since I last did it, and I didn't find a single fault or a single alteration, but apparently that's a requirement to have a public entertainment licence these days that it's tested every 3 years.
With the hotel, we have to provide an EICR for the public areas annually, for the public entertainment licence - they won`t accept any less frequency.

So the original question stands. How far do we really need to go when testing something like a cooker? To me a visual followed by an earth bond test is enough to show it presents no danger to the user.
This question is no different from any other contract of works and knowing how much work you have agreed to be paid to do!!..

Or putting it another way...

It is the duty holder or responsible person on the site where the electrical equipment is installed / used who ultimately has the legal responsibility to ensure adequate checks are carried out....

i.e. the person who rings you for assistance, if during normal usage a fault occurs that needs electrical expertise..

If or when they employ you to do some testing for them...

Then that is where you need a clearly defined contract stating exactly how far your tests go...

If they only want earth bond done.....

than that is all you check..

Bottom line with any business transaction is...

YOU DO THE WORK YOU ARE BEING PAID FOR!!!!!!

if you are unsure exactly what you need to do..

either verify it with the client or walk away cuz that are unable to give you a schedule of works required.

Personlly...

I think I would want to verify the polarity as well..

NOT just the earth on a cooker!!

But at the end of the day....

As long has you have a written agreement detailing what you claim to have done and any exceptions or limitations to any part of your work then jobs a goodun!

go to the next job!

Guinness