Installers for Victron on-grid kit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, it's not widely used gear outside of boats and caravans.
Whilst it is used extensively in boats, caravans and motor homes, it is widely used in domestic and industrial applications too. I agree it may not be the most popular choice (probably due to price) but it is used a lot as confirmed on the Victron forums.

The impression I have from activity on the victron forum there seems to be a good deal of off-grid usage being done, e.g. south africa, usa. Also a strong marine following, however much less grid-tied as far as I can tell.
Perhaps with the exception of the easysolar product victron don't seem to be aiming at the domestic market presently.
I probably have a distorted view as I don't know any sales figures for different products, just my impression.

I'm guessing maybe he wants an MCS certificate for the work?

Whilst I would be aiming to use as much solar in the house as poss, and thinking of 12-15ish kWh of battery to start with, in summer with 8-10kWp of PV, [edit] all suggests kWh well in excess of battery storage, even with an Eddi. [End edit]
So it would seem churlish to ignore export to help with payback
And with the DNO offering £10day to export on occasion, which i suspect is likely to occur increasingly often...

Think I'm stuck with needing MCS?

Last edited:
Whilst I would be aiming to use as much solar in the house as poss, and thinking of 12-15ish kWh of battery to start with, in summer with 8-10kWp of PV calls suggests kWh well in excess of battery storage, Eddi.
So it would seem churlish to ignore export to help with payback
And with the DNO offering £10day to export on occasion, which i suspect is likely to occur increasingly often...

Think I'm stuck with needing MCS?
Really? which one?

Hehe, hehe, it's a good job I'm not an electrician the number of times I get my wires crossed!

I was referring to the DNO incentive offering money to use less elec at critical times, which sadly is not gained from export.

I could just about hear the bloodhound sniffing the scent of a money saver as you queried that one John?!

Hehe, hehe, it's a good job I'm not an electrician the number of times I get my wires crossed!

I was referring to the DNO incentive offering money to use less elec at critical times, which sadly is not gained from export.

I could just about hear the bloodhound sniffing the scent of a money saver as you queried that one John?!
I didnt realise that was a DNO thing as opposed to the whole grid, I did mine via Octopus and made silly amounts of money.

DIY? I did !
From reading the forum posts it sounds like you have a bit of a head start on me wrt electrical knowledge!

I have wired a plug and changed a fuse, changed a light fitting, and built my own PC I guess.

Setting aside my dubious practical skills for now...

Is 100% DIY feasible and still be able to export to grid when starting a whole new PV system from scratch?

Assuming an ac coupled system, at the very least I'd need to find a friendly electrician to connect the PV/battery output into the house side of the consumer unit (?) and would be best involving them from square one with the system plans?

Building my own battery might be doable if I were to devote all my spare time and get some serious safety advice on working procedures.

Wiring up a quattro, a 450/200, PV cables, isolators, cerbo gx, etc. and assoc. gubbins feels like a mountain, ... ok one step at a time i guess.

And then when it don't work 1st time, where's the help with problem diagnosis, do victron support DIY installers, I suspect not.

I can appreciate the sentiment, McEnroe's words to the umpire come to mind though?!

Hmm should prob make this a new thread.

Last edited:
From reading the forum posts it sounds like you have a bit of a head start on me wrt electrical knowledge!

I have wired a plug and changed a fuse, changed a light fitting, and built my own PC I guess.
Youre a prime candidate for DIY battery :);)

Setting aside my dubious practical skills for now...

Is 100% DIY feasible and still be able to export to grid when starting a whole new PV system from scratch?
No, sadly you need to be ripped off by an MCS registered tradesman.

Assuming an ac coupled system, at the very least I'd need to find a friendly electrician to connect the PV/battery output into the house side of the consumer unit (?) and would be best involving them from square one with the system plans?
Yep, you run the cables ready so all they have to do is connect the supply end.

Building my own battery might be doable if I were to devote all my spare time and get some serious safety advice on working procedures.
It really is not that difficult, the safety side is easy to understand and follow. That said, ready built batteries are available nowadays at sensible money, - Fogstar 5kWh battery £1350. Still not as cheap as DIY but a lot better than many of the other commercial offerings.

Wiring up a quattro, a 450/200, PV cables, isolators, cerbo gx, etc. and assoc. gubbins feels like a mountain, ... ok one step at a time i guess.
Indeed, if you break it down into small sections each one is relatively simple.

And then when it don't work 1st time, where's the help with problem diagnosis, do victron support DIY installers, I suspect not.
The support community help everyone with Victron equipment, I had a user on the forum offer to login to my system, he looked at my configuration, he confirmed everything was good but suggested one minor change to improve the battery charging.