Insulation test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLouen

Reaction score
Today I had an insulation test done by an EICR and one of the circuits was 60-70 MΩ, it started in 40 and progressively went up to 60-70MΩ in multiple tests.

Rest of the tested circuits went up to 200MΩ with the given MFT model (could not see the model, only the brand, classic yellow Fluke).

I could assume that all the circuits were perfect, except for this one. The EICR told me that 60-70 was an acceptable value but something could be slightly hindering the circuit, nothing to be worried about.

Still I was expecting a full 200 (MAX) MΩ in all circuits, for this installation so now I feel a little dubious.

Thoughts?

60 to 70 million ohms of resistance is fine, it would be fine if it were considerably lower.

Probably a bit of damp somewhere. What circuit was it and where. Any circuit on the outside wall of an old poorly insulated house might have a bit of condensation. Nothing to worry about.

It sounds like a capacitance funny in the system but as others have said it falls well into the pass results.

Probably a bit of damp somewhere. What circuit was it and where. Any circuit on the outside wall of an old poorly insulated house might have a bit of condensation. Nothing to worry about.
It's a brand new not used house, tested in a inner house circuit (bath sockets). Never used a single socket not the baths.

It's a brand new not used house, tested in a inner house circuit (bath sockets). Never used a single socket not the baths.
Bath sockets? What UK new build has bath sockets?

Honestly 60 -70 megaohms insulation resistance is nothing to lose sleep over. BS7671 only requires further investigation for anything under 2...

Bath sockets? What UK new build has bath sockets?
There are no bath sockets in UK? Really interesting. There is no law in my country regarding this. You have to put all humid plugs in one separate circuit only. And this circuit is the one that is reporting 60 MΩ

you can have a socket in a bathroom, however it must be 2.5m away from the bath/shower. not many bathrooms lage enough to do that though
It looks pretty safe. I don't have this rule in my country. This inhibits sockets in little bathrooms definitely.

It looks pretty safe. I don't have this rule in my country. This inhibits sockets in little bathrooms definitely.
There's some oddities with this, an electrical point in a bathroom cupboard is out of the zones, likewise under the bath, if it has fixed bath panels - allows pumps for spa-baths to be fitted.

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.