Insurance Work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectekAir

Reaction score
Do any of you guy's do work for insurance company's if so how did you get on thier books?

ElectekAir,

Looks like no-one wants to tell you there secret !!!! ....haha!!!

I have only ever done one job for an Ins co and it was because the customer experienced flood damage and they asked her to have a visual inspection done. Took weeks and weeks to pay. In the end customer paid me out of her won pocket as she was so narked by the Ins co.

done a few insurance jobs, always appointed by the customer and price approved by insurance company.

Agree with cirrus, some rather long waits for the money.

Don't do any work directly for insurance companies. If a homeowner calls me in to do an "insurance job" I make it clear that he is the client, that I work for him and that he will pay me. Any insurance claim is his responsibility to sort out.

I've spent too much wasted time on the phone to insurance companies chasing go ahead or money. Never again.

I try not to work for the ins. direct; as PC says.

However, to answer your original question:

I have one long-standing contract, via a local broker. Customer called me to a commercial premises she had a vested interest in, which was subject to an insurance deal. Broker was chuffed with our paperwork, and has pulled us in on other works. I get paid by the broker (on time; T+C makes it clear that overdue accounts incur a 10% admin fee, and over-overdue accounts will be passed to "our debt collections dept., resulting in further costs" (doublespeak for a nasty letter from the bank`s solicitor - part of my account with them ;) ).

Another was from a local firm contacting us to do a PIR as a priority - they had the report by close of business the same day :) . Again, they`ve used us a couple of times. Usually, its the customer, rather than the insurer, who gets us involved.

The "urban myth" that you have to be the cheapest of three quotes is just that - a myth. I`m usually either the middle or higher figure, yet get the work - it would seem to be a direct result of our communications proceedures.

KME