Interchangeable MCB'S RCD'S Etc ( What Fits? )

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just fitted a new Wylex RCBO into a Hager 3ph db. I could only manage to get it in the left hand side of the board as the neutral bar is on the right and is raised so it wont fit (earth bar on left). It is longer than the Hager rcbo but it still fits. I've also managed to fit the same RCBO into a Memshield 2 DB, it wont fit into the Memshield 1 as the busbar is too wide. Hope this helps.

Great thread lads and a subject that has me scratching my head on many occasions and I'm scratching again. :C

I've an old mk sentry board with a MK LN 5945 MCB 45 Amp BS3871 M6 Type 2 and was wondering if there are any RCBO's that I could replace it with?

Failing that is there a straight swap for the main switch for a main RCD per chance.

Reason I'm asking is that I've to change a shower like for like in rented accommodation and the landlord doesn't want to go to the expense of changing the whole consumer unit even though I've mentioned the regs to him regarding the protection required for the shower and power points etc.

Board in question >>>>>>>

124fs6x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They do a retrofit kit if there is a space at the end of the busbar then you could fit a modern MK rcbo in I think. Is that a bell transformer on the end? As for RCD main switch generally they are double the size of the main switch so I think you would struggle.

you can get RCBOs for them but they take up 2ways I think,

wylex RCBOs will fit, not so sure if the door closes though, done a few in some sheltered accommodation recently, doors were all missing.......

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:34 ----------

just noticed, you dont have a cover/door so that wont bother you anyway. :)

Great thread lads and a subject that has me scratching my head on many occasions and I'm scratching again. :C I've an old mk sentry board with a MK LN 5945 MCB 45 Amp BS3871 M6 Type 2 and was wondering if there are any RCBO's that I could replace it with?

Failing that is there a straight swap for the main switch for a main RCD per chance.

Reason I'm asking is that I've to change a shower like for like in rented accommodation and the landlord doesn't want to go to the expense of changing the whole consumer unit even though I've mentioned the regs to him regarding the protection required for the shower and power points etc.

Board in question >>>>>>>
i know a wylex RCBO will fit with a bit 6mm between existing busbar & new RCBO. MK also do a conversion kit for their RCBO & MCB's to fit into it

What fits into a Proteus board other than Geyer please guys.
should be able to get a wylex or just about any other in there

i keep a din rail loaded with different makes of mcb, anything i can find, this way i can easily compare. ;)

Denmans basics range is control gear, probably cheaper to fit the same than replace with another brand. Think proteus and cfl are about the same if i remember right.

I just fit 2 hager rcbo's in a memera 2000 db. I had to file the edges of the busbar fingers cos they were too wide for the hagers, then i removed the din rail retaining clip (which is at the wrong end for the memera board), then file a bit off the bottom din rail catch, now it just slips in great. To get the front cover on I just had to file a couple of mill off the cover to fit the top of the rcbo.

A lot of messing about but i did itGuinness

just done another.........i fit proteus rcbos in a vinkier db. They went straight in.

Picked up a copy of professional electrician today for October 2011. Page 41 " mix ' n ' match" article states that installing different mcbs or rcbos from different manufacturers you could be liable if something goes wrong. I've done this before to get me out of trouble but I don't think I'll do it again.

Manufacturers of distribution boards do not recommend that you install other manufacturers breakers. If anything goes wrong you may have a problem on your hands.

Manufacturers of distribution boards do not recommend that you install other manufacturers breakers. If anything goes wrong you may have a problem on your hands.
Picked up a copy of professional electrician today for October 2011. Page 41 " mix ' n ' match" article states that installing different mcbs or rcbos from different manufacturers you could be liable if something goes wrong. I've done this before to get me out of trouble but I don't think I'll do it again.
When out in the real world with an old CU and inability to locate an exact manufactures now obsolete part the next best option has to be considered. As with all business decisions the customers requirements, budget, safety risk assessment and feasibility to complete the job within a reasonable timescale, carry a large sway over decision making. If manufactures original parts are available I doubt any competent electrician would choose to fit other manufactures parts. However we sometimes have to make a considered judgment over what is best for the customer. Remembering of course a small load domestic circuit probably posses less risk than a heavily loaded commercial circuit. I would be interested to hear off any of our members who have first hand experience of failures in a CU directly due to mixed manufactures parts. Most car manufactures recommend only their original parts are used during servicing and repair work.

Doc H.

Can't see why anything should go wrong if breaker/Rcbo is a good fit you have to use your judgement obviously some breakers will not fit other boards unless you start fiddling with busbar. I think you have to use commen sense with this one.

Latest posts