Interested in becoming an electrician.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enraGeUK

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this or frankly any electrician centered forum, im a 19 year old student who is currently half way through the first year of an astrophysics degree, ever since beginning the degree I have questioned whether its really what I want to be doing with my life and has led me to think what else i could be doing.

Ever since a young age I have had a personal fondness of electrics and had thought being an electrician is definitely something I could see myself as in the future. I've been researching what is required and have obviously come across the need to the 2330 qualification course followed by the 2381 + 2391 courses, plus the possibly even greater need of getting an apprenticeship in order to build up working experience, however I just don't know whats the best course of action I should go about.

Its january at the moment and it seems I wouldnt be able to start up a course till september so what exactly would be the best use of my time to go about getting the experience/quals needed.

I've also seen alot of 4-6 week courses advertised online however this just doesnt seem too credible in my opinion. I'd like to add I have a B in physics and a D in maths at A2 level. Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

-Rich

Hello Rich and welcome

Not a good time to be training as a spark with the economic slowdown

Get your degree - have a bit of fun. Have a look arround as you can do some of the courses in night school and could maybe do your degree in the day and spark at night?

Good luck with whatever you decide, but a degree under your belt does open up doors.

:D

Hello Rich and welcomeNot a good time to be training as a spark with the economic slowdown

Get your degree - have a bit of fun. Have a look arround as you can do some of the courses in night school and could maybe do your degree in the day and spark at night?

Good luck with whatever you decide, but a degree under your belt does open up doors.

:D
Cheers for the quick reply

I understand the present recession doesnt make it a prime time to start training but surely the same could be said about most if not all professions.

The problem with doing my degree and trying to learn the electrician trade, is that my course has 23 hours of lectures a week and im 'supposed' to be doing another 23 hours of outside study. This plus the fact that soon im going to need to get at least a one day a week job to give me enough money to keep going means that option would give me almost zero free time at all something I know I couldn't cope with.

Any more advice would be much appreciated.

-Rich

Don't be daunted by the electricians qualifications. For someone with your backround you will find them easy! (Not a reflection on electricians - just that the qualifications for 2391 is very academically based and an acedemic has a real head start!).An 8 week night school should see you through the vast majority of a 2391.

2381 is multiple choice and unfortunately only tests referencing skills rather than any real ability as an electrician!

It's a hard time for electricians. There is a lot of competition as the building trade is falling off, and experience and confidence counts for a lot. Personally I've struggled with both - but after 2-3 years I'm learning!!!

In your situation I would do your degree with night school backup on 2391. Apply for jobs - you'll be a trophy for a few employers!!! Then after a bit of experience branch out on your own and use your brain!!!! World domination will follow in due course (or not!!).

Keep your options open!

Good luck, and cover your bases!!!

Thanks for the replies guys, im not sure whether im getting the right end of the stick or not, but by 'applying for jobs' I take it you mean a job associated with the electrician industry such as a helping hand sort of thing??

I'll definitely look into the night school for 2391, cheers for the help guys.

EDIT. cheers for the warm welcomes also :D Guiness Drink

-Rich

Why not do a degree in Electrical Engineering instead? Physics and maths are the main elements of electrical work after all!

Why not do a degree in Electrical Engineering instead? Physics and maths are the main elements of electrical work after all!
Agree can you not swop course's or are you to far down the line to do that?

You could also not finish this degree and then start a Electrical Engineering one and have a double degree.

Agree can you not swop course's or are you to far down the line to do that?You could also not finish this degree and then start a Electrical Engineering one and have a double degree.
I swapped to a new course at the end of my first year in civil engineering. Universities recognise that people make mistakes and do not enjoy the course as much as they thought they would.

As for a double degree........ Mmmmmmm...... More like double the debt! :^O

I swapped to a new course at the end of my first year in civil engineering. Universities recognise that people make mistakes and do not enjoy the course as much as they thought they would.As for a double degree........ Mmmmmmm...... More like double the debt! :^O
Not a bad idea however im nearly 100% its too late for me to change my degree at this late stage however I could always start this degree in september. However would this degree give me any necessary qualifications recognised in the electrician circuit. I mean even if I got this degree would I still need to do the C&G 2330 course.

Cheers for the help guys im just not sure if university is the answer for me, dont get me wrong you can't beat uni life Guiness Drink

No, I understand completely. I did a civil engineering 1st year and then swapped onto a environmental engineering degree. I finished uni and then got involved in a completely different area!

If I had a second chance I would maybe think like you. Do a vocational subject and then see if I liked it enough to take it further.

However if I did do that then I would I be doing what I am doing now?

At the end of the day a trade skill is always worth it. Whatever you do you in the future have something to fall back on.

However being a 'field electrician' and having the hands-on skills will give you a great insight if you wanted to learn how to design major electrical systems.

Hi welcome to the forum, as said before go for it.

Also you might want to consider offering your services for free to an electricain/electrical company, just so that you get some hands on experience & so that you get some idea of what is required.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide, it is refreshing to know that some youngsters still want to get a trade. :)

Hi there,

As said before it is, and will be for a while, hard times for electricians and all trades associated with building works. So as you are looking for a job to supplement your student loan, why not apply to local electricians. Whilst people are probably not looking to take on employees, they might be in need of some casual labour for a day or two a week, you never know!! Offer your services, don't be too expensive, be as flexible as you can and work & learn hard. You never know, you might not like it when you actually start doing it.....

The main thing is though KEEP DOING YOUR DEGREE as it will open a lot of doors in your future!

Well ive decided to put an end to my astrophysics degree, as I am positive I dont want to study that for 3/4 years. I've asked my uni for a deferred entry in september so I can start again on a course that I would enjoy/prefer alot more and also coincide with what i want to do in the future.

I'll take all your advice and ask around and see whether I could get a job as a helping hand a couple of days a week to get some experience and a taste of what the profession is like.

Cheers again for the warm welcomes Guiness Drink Guiness Drink

-Rich :^O