Intruder Alarm Reset By Mobile Phone

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Hi guys

got a customer who is often away from home working abroad.  He wants CCTV that he can view from internet so this is no problem, however he wants an intruder alarm that will notify him of alarm going off, but he wants to be able to reset the alarm from his smart phone as he is often out of the country and does not have anyone to go into the house to reset it for him.

He is worried that his bell box continuosly flashing for a few weeks at a time will indicate to the undesirables that there is noone at home.

If the alarm panel is going to notify him....

Why does he need an active external bell box?????

Surely if he has been made aware..

and there is no one local able to reset for him..

an external sounder carries no function other than to annoy the neighbors??? :C

Why didnt I think out of the box!

Actually isnt this what ADT do?

He has a current alarm system but he told me it was el cheapo and he wants it upgrading.  He also has had some false alarms ie come back home and found bell box flashing but nothing obvious as to why.

So, Specs..thinking along your lines it could be as simple as disconnect current bell box, add gsm dialler and internal sounder, check position of current sensors and wiring continuity checks.

Thanks for the suggestion.

As an alternative idea to disconnecting bell box, if say the current alarm is same as Texecom, is there any problem in disconnecting the strobe trigger and connecting the bell trigger to the strobe in the bell box?

Therefore the strobe would only be activated for the same amount of time as what the bell is programmed for ie max 20mins.

Many times i have connected the stobe to the bell output so it turns off after the timed period which is meant to be a maximum of 15 min.

I dont like wireless arlarms  because what ever you say to the customer they always call you back due to batteries running flat. However i  fitted a Yale alarm a few weeks ago, very good and easy to fit. The panel had an autodialler built in where you could access it via a smart phone.

Many times i have connected the stobe to the bell output so it turns off after the timed period which is meant to be a maximum of 15 min.

I dont like wireless arlarms  because what ever you say to the customer they always call you back due to batteries running flat. However i  fitted a Yale alarm a few weeks ago, very good and easy to fit. The panel had an autodialler built in where you could access it via a smart phone.
Great thanks Slips!  I'll probably go ahead and do it then.

Not so sure about Yale alarms though, I think they look a bit DIY from Argos etc,  especially as this is a posh residence!  I might have to buy new clean shoes to work there!

Visionic powermax has dial out options, cctv options, smoke detector options, remote viewable, for upto 4 cameras and the option to shout at people. Normally sold as wireless package. Battery life is 2 years and panel says when they are going flat. Can be used with wired detectors to avoid batteries all together. Fairly sure you can reset remotely aswell - its been designed as part fire panel and part old people monitor as well as burgular alarm. I fitted one for my parents cos they are getting on a bit, future proofing!

Visionic powermax has dial out options, cctv options, smoke detector options, remote viewable, for upto 4 cameras and the option to shout at people. Normally sold as wireless package. Battery life is 2 years and panel says when they are going flat. Can be used with wired detectors to avoid batteries all together. Fairly sure you can reset remotely aswell - its been designed as part fire panel and part old people monitor as well as burgular alarm. I fitted one for my parents cos they are getting on a bit, future proofing!
Thanks Binky,

I have looked the other day at these but didnt see the options you talked about.  I will look again.

check it out robin, its a really good package
Yes been looking at it over the last 30mins, will have to price it all up along with the cameras, powerlink and gsm dialler.  Then can speak to customer.....he does like gadgets so will probably be impressed.

How did you find the programming? Was it fairly straightforward, intuitive?

I have fitted one of those, forgot about it. Nice kit with loads of extras. I had to fit a signal booster to connect the remote garage so also converted that end to wired with mains power .Quite involved programming if I remember, but like most of this stuff, its what your used to.