Invoicing.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeJay

Reaction score
Hi, this has probably been asked a million times before, but i searched earlier on today and couldnt find an exact answer.

Anyway, today i got a call from a letting agent who is looking for an electrician to take on their maintenance in their properties. As i am starting out self employed I decided this could be a good way to get my name about so took them up on the offer, about an hour later i got a call back asking if i could go to a flat and fix a problem (busted switched fused spur).

It all went fine (apart from their consumer unit wasnt marked up at all! :eek: ), job has been done and ive to invoice the agent.

I have my invoice and stuff all set up. Just need to ask a couple questions.

I am NOT VAT registered as i am just starting out, so I dont add on a VAT charge on the total bill do i?

Also, should i, or not. Charge a price per mileage to the job? And if so, what is a reasonable ammount considering the current fuel prices?

Any help is as always greatle appreciated!

Cheers

DeeJay,

My company charges 50p per mile, but It's Ltd. & VAT Reg.

Also most of my work is breakdowns & fault finding, my van costs the company 20p per mile in diesel, the rest is to cover the insurance, and contract hire, and the "money" overheads.

Perfect, thanks for the quick response Andy!

Edit - Also another thing, my Invoice is through MS Word 2007, how would i sent it in an email so that the client can't edit it? Is there an option in MS Word to protect files?

Cheers

Perfect, thanks for the quick response Andy!Edit - Also another thing, my Invoice is through MS Word 2007, how would i sent it in an email so that the client can't edit it? Is there an option in MS Word to protect files?

Cheers
Scan it and send it as an image NOT a document?

I am NOT VAT registered as i am just starting out, so I dont add on a VAT charge on the total bill do i?
I am not VAT registered either, but have on occasions had jobs waiting for payment cuz the customer is trying to establish if invoice includes or excludes vat..

So I have one line note at the bottom of the invoice stating

XYZ is not a VAT registered business, all material costs quoted are full retail VAT inclusive values.

Saves getting calls asking.. whats your vat number? do the costs include or exclude vat?

ALSO

make sure you put your payment duration terms clearly..

it can help to either have

A surcharge for late payment... OR discount for early payment.

built in to the invoice terms

e.g.

Full payment due withing XX days of this invoice

Addition surcharge of

You can't charge VAT until you have your VAT number

so even if you've just registered, you can't until they send you the number

the only way around it is to say VAT number on it's way and then re-invoice them again once you have it

I saved a copy as a .PDFCheers for all your help guys!
Saving as .pdf will likely not work, as you will have a word doc with a .pdf file extension, you need to install a virtual pdf printer, as Canoeboy says there are a number of free versions if you search in Goggle. once installed you print to your pdf printer and follow the prompts

Search for 'cute pdf writer'. It's a free converter. When you 'print' the word doc select cute pdf writer as the printer and it saves the file in pdf format to a location of your choice.

You can't charge VAT until you have your VAT numberso even if you've just registered, you can't until they send you the number

the only way around it is to say VAT number on it's way and then re-invoice them again once you have it
That's what I thought as I am awaiting our vat number. I have issued a few invoices stating that I will be re-invoicing for the vat at a later date once in possession of the number. However, my accounts manager had a meeting with our chartered accountants yesterday to be told that we SHOULD be including vat with a note on the invoice stipulating that we will send details of the vat number when it comes through.

That's what I thought as I am awaiting our vat number. I have issued a few invoices stating that I will be re-invoicing for the vat at a later date once in possession of the number. However, my accounts manager had a meeting with our chartered accountants yesterday to be told that we SHOULD be including vat with a note on the invoice stipulating that we will send details of the vat number when it comes through.
you should invoice now with VAT amount included, with a note that VAT number will be sent at later date

if someone sent me an invoice for something, and next week re-sent it but this time adding VAT, they would only be getting paid for original amount.

Saving as .pdf will likely not work, as you will have a word doc with a .pdf file extension, you need to install a virtual pdf printer, as Canoeboy says there are a number of free versions if you search in Goggle. once installed you print to your pdf printer and follow the prompts
I think you'll find save as PDF in Word2007 creates a PDF just the same as any PDF Writers not a Word doc with .pdf file ext.

I think you should be charging a set amount to cover the cost of running your business not charging customer for your mileage never heard that one before.

that would only wor if either you worked only local, or you charged a stupid amount to local customers so you could afford to go to non-local customers.

i always charge extra to cover time/travel if the job isnt local. most of it is within 5 miles, but somtimes 50+ miles. and there is no way im driving 50+ miles and charging the same as a local job

Most of my work is fairly local probably up to 20 miles away so don't really think of fuel but the cost of it these days maybe I should.