iPhone

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgaw81

Reaction score
Anyone got one????

I just downloaded an application...electricains tool kit...

Its great, has lots of formulas on it and lots of other info. try it its a free download

can someone tell me what an iphone is please, as per other thread.sorry for being thick.

is this like a pda with a built in phone?
pda! bloody hell, i forgot about that fad,..... are you available next thurs??..ummmm...hang on i'll just switch this thing on...ummm hold on it's just starting up....oh the batteries dead.

no wonder they never caught on

Sorry steps I thought you were joking. Its a phone and ipod in one that also can have apps loaded and surf the internet and loads more.

Sorry steps I thought you were joking. Its a phone and ipod in one that also can have apps loaded and surf the internet and loads more.
so it's like a Blackberry, except you cover the screen in grubby finger marks...........

:D

KK, sorry, but I really cant see the point in it,

I can understand having a radio on the phone, or even a camera and some songs, I use mine,

but in all honesty, to surf the net on a (even)4" screen to me is total madness, never mind try type on it. sorry, IMO.

its just like a little ickle PC then I suppose,

maybe Im too old for all this,

but sometimes it seems to me technology is just technology for the fact of being,

and isnt really of any real practical use after the novelty has worn off.

just makes you wonder where all the advances of the 80s/90s that we couldnt live without are now.

i often use the internet whist at work, i had to put sockets next to a bed so i googled bed sizes and found out the width, and i can keep in touch in this forum! oh and not forgeting the lunchtime p**n lol

Last edited by a moderator:
i often use the internet whist at work, i had to put sockets next to a bed so i googled bed sizes and found out the width, and i can keep in touch in this forum! oh and not forgeting the lunchtime p**n lol
for which if I really need I can do on a standard phone nowadays can I not?

FFS, I can even get internet on my phone, as demonstrated to me by one of lads one day,

but I am yet to discover what exactly iphone does so much better than anything else,

as much as I like apple, seems that its a botch of too many things to work right on any one.

bit like the ipod really.

The iPhone is like a useful collection of things on a phone, but crippled in such a way that they are frustratingly annoying and restrictive to the point you don;t bother with it, so just a big, heavy phone with buttons you don't touch.

Basically, I wouldn;t have one if you paid me, I'd rather have something that will do what I want.

i have an iphone, i'll never say its the bestest phone eva!!! but it certainly isn't a big heavy useless thing. my mate has a nokia N97 which is twice as thick but 3/4 as wide, heavier and always crashing!

steptoe, the internet in your pocket can be invaluable at times. I have been able to get full specs on things for work at my own leisure before, on holiday i have used the internet on my phone to save my GF from getting ripped off by pushy salesmen who were trying to sell her a camera for 3x its value!

my iphone and my previous 2 nokia phones have had sat-nav built in and that to be honest is by far the best feature for me, you have your sat-nav on you at all times without thinking about it and i use the sat-nav everytime we go abroad and get a hire car from the airport.

i don't think its technology for technologies sake in this case, they seem to have actually put useful technology in these new phones.

and Paul, PDA's aren't old fashioned and unused at all. we have them at work as do many other companies to get the jobs to the work force and what do you think a "smart phone" is anyway? its just a rebranded PDA.

Horses for courses, an iPhone wouldn't do what I wanted it to do, or not without some serious hard work and effort, which is pointless as other phones will allow me to do things without imposing lots of restrictions.

Without going into details I'm not saying it's useless, it's down to what you use it for and what you're happy with. Annoyingly there's a lot of good apps for the iPhone, I'll stick to my Nokia 6230. ;)

I have a blackberry, and it so handy.

Emails get sent straight to my phone, which is good as a few of my customers contact me that way. I can look up anything I need to know asap and I can keep an eye on the football scores when out and about.

wouldnt be without it. im on my second one.

the internet is so handy, dont have use 118 expensive crap anymore.

and it can get you some where better than satnav sometimes

visual voicemail is very handy for ringing people back storing messages.

i check my emails a few times a day, so much easier to be able to check them and react while you at work and not in the evening.

im thinking about getting a streamline machine and this will link in with it nicely being able to check the money has gone in.

im not a big app user, i have the electricians tool kit but dont use it, quicker doing on the calculator. but that easy stuff it might be handy for the more complex stuff.

the resistor part is handy if you deal with them, but i dont.

i pay alot compared to other people for the contract but i use it alot and at the end of the day its a 100% business, one thing i will say is the battery isnt the best once your a few months down the line.

im thinking about getting a streamline machine and this will link in with it nicely being able to check the money has gone in.
Isn't there an app for this to take card payments on the iPhone?

out of interest lurch what does your 6230 do that an iPhone won't other than send/receive media over bluetooth? i've been a nokia fanboy for many many years so the iPhone is quite a departure for me but coming from a series of symbian phones(6600, 6680, N91, N73, N95, N96) aswell as a blackberry storm in there somewhere too although i am not blown away by the iPhone it certainly isn't a let down. The only minor annoyances about the iPhone for me are the media control as they expect you to do everything through iTunes(adding/removing music, creating playlists, renaming songs/playlists) and the fact you can't send or receive any music/pictures/video over bluetooth but other than that i find it very hard to fault compared to modern nokia phones, a friend has an N97 and that looks very silly next to the iPhone is nearly every situation.

btw this isn't a rant or moan its simply an honest question, i don't think the iPhone is the best phone out there but it certainly isn't the worst, i have mine on PAYG and its cheaper for to run it on PAYG whilst still paying my old contract but thats more of a PAYG Vs contract thing.

the internet is so handy, dont have use 118 expensive crap anymore.

and it can get you some where better than satnav sometimes

visual voicemail is very handy for ringing people back storing messages.

i check my emails a few times a day, so much easier to be able to check them and react while you at work and not in the evening.
i use the same things on my blackberry - google phone numbers, all emails automatically download etc - there are a few letting agents etc i do work for, and they email me non-urgent jobs. much easier than finding pen & paper when your at the top of a ladder or somewhere just as inconvenient

hi all i want to get i new phone but carnt decide iphone 3gs or blackberry or a nokia can anybody help thankyou