IR testing a lighting cct with an Extractor Fan load

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedomrun

Reaction score
Domestic CU change, TN-C-S. Lighting circuit has an Extractor Fan with Electronic timer installed. When performing IR test on the lighting, should i just test the whole lighting cct between L & N (connected together) and the CPC - I do not want to remove the cover of the extractor to disconnect at the terminals as i may damage the plastic housing. If i do the IR test in this way, should i make a note of it on the EIC - i am concerned that i should be testing between all conductors seperately when changing the CU and recording the results accordingly. Any advice please.

Is there no isolator switch to allow the fan to be disconnected locally for maintenance? If not, then as you say L+N to E should be sufficient, assuming readings are all good.

Doc H.

What about the wording on the EIC, would would be best to write down do you think if i can only test LN to E.

if all testing is done at L+N to earth then in the scedual of item tested, i tick the box insulation resistance between live conductors and earth and put N/A in insulation resistance between live conductors.

in test results I just put L+N - E >299 ect

What about the wording on the EIC, would would be best to write down do you think if i can only test LN to E.
There a numerous occasions on a CU change where it is not practical to remove all equipment vulnerable to testing, or neon