Is this possibly caused by poor earthing?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpartner

Reaction score
Okay so I have basically zero knowledge of eletrical engineering so bear with me and also a possibly weird question here but here goes anyway.

For the past year or so I keep getting this feeling as if I'm getting a static shocks while I'm using my computer - mainly on my hands when using my keyboard / sometimes on my face (also constantly have headphones on connected to the PC)

Now I suspected that there were electrical issues in the house I'm in for other reasons (mainly PC not functioning correctly but won't get into that) so I got an electrician to come in and do a safety inspection about 6 months ago. The electrician told me that there was severe earth leakage in the electrical system apparently way worse when the oven is on? That the wiring is over 50 years old and there's no RCD switches on the fuse board etc. Also the house is essentially not grounded/earthed at all from what I understood.

I have a few questions about the whole thing anyway;

- Is it possible I'm actually experiencing static shocks when using my computer due to the electrical issues?
- Is it a stupid idea to run my computer through a UPS given the circumstances?
- Is there any actual danger of using a computer hooked up to this system?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :), I've attached the EICR to this thread if it's helpful at all to take a look at it - any personal info has been removed.

Attachments

• EICR1.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
There isn't a great deal in the report even though the schedule of inspections has multiple Code 2s with no explanation as to what they mean and the schedules of circuits seems to have gone pear shaped. They have not denoted an earthing system yet tick earthing arrangements as correct.

Okay so I have basically zero knowledge of eletrical engineering so bear with me and also a possibly weird question here but here goes anyway.

For the past year or so I keep getting this feeling as if I'm getting a static shocks while I'm using my computer - mainly on my hands when using my keyboard / sometimes on my face (also constantly have headphones on connected to the PC)

Now I suspected that there were electrical issues in the house I'm in for other reasons (mainly PC not functioning correctly but won't get into that) so I got an electrician to come in and do a safety inspection about 6 months ago. The electrician told me that there was severe earth leakage in the electrical system apparently way worse when the oven is on? That the wiring is over 50 years old and there's no RCD switches on the fuse board etc. Also the house is essentially not grounded/earthed at all from what I understood.

I have a few questions about the whole thing anyway;

- Is it possible I'm actually experiencing static shocks when using my computer due to the electrical issues?
- Is it a stupid idea to run my computer through a UPS given the circumstances?
- Is there any actual danger of using a computer hooked up to this system?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :), I've attached the EICR to this thread if it's helpful at all to take a look at it - any personal info has been removed.
Get yourself a non-contact volt stick and see if any part of the computer lights it up, not a definitive test but better than nothing.

I'm assuming your keyboard is plastic with no metal exposed parts.

Get yourself a non-contact volt stick and see if any part of the computer lights it up, not a definitive test but better than nothing.

I'm assuming your keyboard is plastic with no metal exposed parts.
The keyboard is plastic yeah, no exposed metal parts.

I'll try using a volt stick - what will this help determine exactly?

The keyboard is plastic yeah, no exposed metal parts.

I'll try using a volt stick - what will this help determine exactly?
It may determine if anything is actually Live.
The real way is obviously to call a decent electrician in.

According to that report you have a 10mm main earth - out of date size wise, but still a main earth. Unfortunately the information for the earthing and supply arrangements has not been completed, a major piece of information missing.

Was 150 quid I think, they were here for maybe 30-40mins? Also had an apprentice with him.

Is there any point in me requesting another EICR specifically?

30 - 40 minutes to do an EICR - probably isn't worth the paper its written on

I would ask for a refund

and find a spark to do it properly as this cow boy clearly doesn't know what he's doing

Why did you have the EICR done?

Last edited:
30 - 40 minutes to do an EICR - probably isn't worth the paper its written on

I would ask for a refund

and find a spark to do it properly as this cow boy clearly doesn't know what he's doing

Why did you have the EICR done?
Reason I had it done in the first place was because of having issues with my PC which still persisted after replacing it entirely (among trying many other things to fix it). After doing some reading about the issues I was having there were a few people who mentioned it potentially being related to a grounding problem, pretty much why I called an electrician out to begin with.

I didn't specifically need/want an EICR, but that seemed to be the bottom line for what you can call someone out for as far as I could tell.

Was 150 quid I think, they were here for maybe 30-40mins? Also had an apprentice with him.

Is there any point in me requesting another EICR specifically?

I would suggest that 30-40 minutes is insufficient time to do an accurate EICR...

Also having an apprentice would be more likely to increase the time taken as you would be teaching them about the inspection & testing you are doing, and what the acceptable readings actually are.

If I get an enquiry asking how much I would charge to do an EICR at a domestic dwelling for a property I have never previously seen.. I would generally suggest to allow 30mins per circuit, plus one hour for investigations around the CU & Earthing & Bonding, plus a bit more admin time for documenting the results onto the EICR. (as a rule of thumb half a day is the starting point).

There is a dedicated City & Guilds course plus a 190+ page guidance note book relating to inspection & testing...
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BKGN318slash2.html?
So I just cannot see how it could be done in less than an hour!