Issuing certificates

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
Hi, To what extent should minor works certificates be handed out? What i mean is should they be written out for changing faceplates for example?

Also i know of many fellow electricians that will do electrical work but only issue a certificate if requested and wont bother notifing it to NICEIC and the like and have been going for years. This annoys me as I am trying to run my business properly and obviously my prices come a bit more expensive. Are what they doing get them in trouble?

Cheers

Trouble is after a while you will get really fed up with it unless you pay someone to do it for you. You do a hard days work any one that says sparking is not hard work must be kidding. Then you will have the invoices too do last thing you need is another load of paperwork so minor works don't really get done for changing accessories unless they are asked for. For one man businesses paperwork will be the thing that can kill it.

Hi, To what extent should minor works certificates be handed out? What i mean is should they be written out for changing faceplates for example?Also i know of many fellow electricians that will do electrical work but only issue a certificate if requested and wont bother notifing it to NICEIC and the like and have been going for years. This annoys me as I am trying to run my business properly and obviously my prices come a bit more expensive. Are what they doing get them in trouble?

Cheers
Page 336 'Big Red 7671' gives guidance as to uses of MWC..

It really is down to your own personal judgment for each job..

Personally if it is a brand new customer I try to make sure a certificate of some sort is issued

cuz I know then the customer has ANOTHER piece of paper with my name & number on it...

Heres the logic:-

More bits of paper with my name on it at customers = greater probability they may ring me back for further work!

So I try to make sure customer has:-

1) a business card.

2) a copy invoice confirming work done & costs. (even if already paid)

3) a certificate confirming some relevant electrical tests done!

i.e. 3 x My business name & phone number!

:D :)

Whereas:-

Existing customers who have already used me before & call me back..

probably already knows my number & have it in their phone book or mobile phone!

Less urgency to push my number & name in their face!

; \ ;)

(at all times ensure BS7671 & Part P are complied with! :) )

Latest posts